New IG opening?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Im hopeful that next weekend I will be filling my new pool. What are the guidelines for starting up a new vinyl pool? I searched and saw lots of info on plaster.

I have a SWCG so im not sure if I dump salt in right off the get go or not or what else should be added.

I am filling (partially at least) from a well. I have a high volume pump installed, pump was selected specifically for lawn irrigation.

You can add the salt right off and you'll need some chlorine in there as soon as you can get the pump running. You'll also need some CYA.
It would be good to run a set of tests on the fill water except for CYA as there won't be any in it.

Since you're filling from a well, do you know if there are any metals in it. If there are, you'll need to add sequestrant and maintain a maintenance dose.

Bama Rambler said:
You can add the salt right off and you'll need some chlorine in there as soon as you can get the pump running. You'll also need some CYA.
It would be good to run a set of tests on the fill water except for CYA as there won't be any in it.

Since you're filling from a well, do you know if there are any metals in it. If there are, you'll need to add sequestrant and maintain a maintenance dose.

Im going to run tests on my fill water, I will post back here with the results. I also will look at the report for metals when I had the well dug.

How much salt should I throw in initially? How many bottles of bleach?

The nice thing is, I have a 1" line coming out of my house for irrigation, but ive not yet got that installed so I can use that and push around 20GPM to the pool.

ok so here are my numbers on my water source.

alkalinity - 350
calcium - 20
ph - 6.8
no distinguishable chlorine.

be gentle with me, this is the first test ive ever done. When I was doing alkalinity, I was at 15 drops and thinking I must have done something wrong, my 8 yr old son convinced me to keep dropping so I got to 35 before it changed colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.