Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New IG opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

New IG opening?

Im hopeful that next weekend I will be filling my new pool. What are the guidelines for starting up a new vinyl pool? I searched and saw lots of info on plaster.

I have a SWCG so im not sure if I dump salt in right off the get go or not or what else should be added.

I am filling (partially at least) from a well. I have a high volume pump installed, pump was selected specifically for lawn irrigation.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New IG opening?

You can add the salt right off and you'll need some chlorine in there as soon as you can get the pump running. You'll also need some CYA.
    It would be good to run a set of tests on the fill water except for CYA as there won't be any in it.

Since you're filling from a well, do you know if there are any metals in it. If there are, you'll need to add sequestrant and maintain a maintenance dose.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You can add the salt right off and you'll need some chlorine in there as soon as you can get the pump running. You'll also need some CYA.
    It would be good to run a set of tests on the fill water except for CYA as there won't be any in it.

Since you're filling from a well, do you know if there are any metals in it. If there are, you'll need to add sequestrant and maintain a maintenance dose.
    Im going to run tests on my fill water, I will post back here with the results. I also will look at the report for metals when I had the well dug.

How much salt should I throw in initially? How many bottles of bleach?

The nice thing is, I have a 1" line coming out of my house for irrigation, but ive not yet got that installed so I can use that and push around 20GPM to the pool.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

ok so here are my numbers on my water source.

alkalinity - 350
    calcium - 20
    ph - 6.8
    no distinguishable chlorine.

be gentle with me, this is the first test ive ever done. When I was doing alkalinity, I was at 15 drops and thinking I must have done something wrong, my 8 yr old son convinced me to keep dropping so I got to 35 before it changed colors.