Concrete Pool Deck Sealing

Jul 6, 2012
West Newbury, MA
We have a five year old in-ground pool with a stamped concrete pool deck. The pool builder applied a sealant to the deck that looks to be completely gone. I'm wondering if I need to re-seal. Would not re-sealing it significantly shorten the life of the deck? I know the sealant provides a shiny look but neither my wife nor I feel we need to have that look. So this is strictly about functionality and longevity. We live in Massachusetts and the pool is in sunshine most of the day. We get four full seasons here with all the freeze/thaw cycles that accompany winter.

One of the main advantages to concrete sealer is to lock in the moisture for the curing process over the first few years, this lowers the chances of surface cracks, etc. Reapplying sealer will likely lengthen the life of the concrete, reduce calcium erosion that you often see on older concrete, but here we are talking multiple decades of wear.

As far as I am told you are supposed to re-seal every 5 years or so. If you do not eventually it will eat away at the finish on top. I am pretty sure you can get a satin finish instead of the gloss, I have also heard you can get a finish that has some grit to it so it is not as slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.