Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Pool Deck Sealing

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Pool Deck Sealing

We have a five year old in-ground pool with a stamped concrete pool deck. The pool builder applied a sealant to the deck that looks to be completely gone. I'm wondering if I need to re-seal. Would not re-sealing it significantly shorten the life of the deck? I know the sealant provides a shiny look but neither my wife nor I feel we need to have that look. So this is strictly about functionality and longevity. We live in Massachusetts and the pool is in sunshine most of the day. We get four full seasons here with all the freeze/thaw cycles that accompany winter.
    40 year old, 16,000g, plaster, in ground pool with 150gpm cartridge filter and 1.5hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Pool Deck Sealing

One of the main advantages to concrete sealer is to lock in the moisture for the curing process over the first few years, this lowers the chances of surface cracks, etc. Reapplying sealer will likely lengthen the life of the concrete, reduce calcium erosion that you often see on older concrete, but here we are talking multiple decades of wear.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

As far as I am told you are supposed to re-seal every 5 years or so. If you do not eventually it will eat away at the finish on top. I am pretty sure you can get a satin finish instead of the gloss, I have also heard you can get a finish that has some grit to it so it is not as slippery.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Most concrete seals are just some type of epoxy, some are 1 part, others are 2 part, which can be anything from a watery thin coating to something fairly thick.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~