Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Joint Leaking - Is there a 'simple fix'

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Joint Leaking - Is there a 'simple fix'

Plumbing re-do project is complete and after replacing every bit of PVC above grade - I found a leak once I turned the pump on - on the spa side return at the union from the 90 on the the jandy to the below grade line. (I'll take a pic today). Other then cutting it up is there a good fix for this? I was thinking of lathering up the joint with pvc cement and putting a shop vac on the line to draw the glue in.
    35000 gallon inground, 2hp Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Joint Leaking - Is there a 'simple fix'

In general bad PVC joints should be cut out and replaced. You can occasionally get enough glue into the joint to seal it for now, but it will never be as good a joint as a correctly glued joint.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I was thinking of lathering up the joint with pvc cement and putting a shop vac on the line to draw the glue in.
    Well, I would think that would surely fail, but you have nothing to lose except a little time and conceivably could work.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping for a trick. - but I am thinking you guys are right I need to cut out the coupling. But now the question is - how to do it. Cut out a section big enough to put in 2 couplings with a piece between the two couplings making a slip joint? Maybe I'll just run a dremel down the sides of the coupling and bust it off...

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the best way would be to cut it out as suggested. One time I was working in a tight spot where cutting out was going to be a hassle. I tried one of those leak-b-gone rings and it worked. Here is a link to the product: http://www.pvcleakrepair.com/
    If you are looking for a trick this could be it.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

6. Back To Top    #6

man - I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work I just have to cut it out. I spent a 2 weeks of my free time working on this pool. - redid the plumbing and redid the electrical to 2008 NEC. I want to take a break from this project and work on the 25 others.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't see why you couldnt just make your own ring, you don't really need the little "lock" part on the ring. BasicAlly that is just a patch.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't see why not. Take a scrap piece of slightly larger PVC, cut a small ring, trim the diameter, glue it in place with a hose clamp till it dries. Could even cut a ring from a fitting of the same size as the pipe.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Totally -- I'll just take a coupling and cut it up. I'll let you know how it works. I normaly would just 'do it right' - but I as a I mentioned after 2 weeks of messing with this pool I am done.

10. Back To Top    #10

In case anyone was waiting on the results of the split PVC. No dice -lesson reminded - just do it correctly. lucky it was 5 minutes of my time. I have already started digging it up.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was able to fix this male going into a female joint by priming then putting on cement. Gravity helped I'm sure.
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!