stamped concrete around pool

Jun 3, 2013
Hello. I am so glad I found this forum. We are getting ready to build soon and I have tried to search the forum to find as many answers as possible. Somewhere I saw a pool that used stamped concrete around the pool and as the coping. The person mentioned that the "rock" look stamped concrete was what many resort pools use. I am wondering if any of you have this (and if so would you share a picture). Also, how hot does it get? I really appreciate the input.

I am in the middle of a build and will be getting stamped concrete...looked at other jobs the builder did and looks awesome. As for heat, the LIGHTER the better, as DARK concrete will be a bit hotter, but no worse than any other decking material.

For our coping though, we did specialty pavers just to give it a bit of contrast. I have no pics, other than the PB website, which I am not sure I am allowed to post. If someone (official) tells me I can, I will post up the link.

Good Luck!

ours is stamped, but I'm not sure it would be called the 'rock' look. It is more of a slate/granite look. We love it. It gets warm when it's dry, but there is almost always water on it from splashing. when I'm vacuuming or maintaing the pool and it gets warm, I just dip my feet in the pool. So many people warned us about how slick it gets. Ours is not slick at all. As far as I know, then didn't put anything in it to make it non-slick. The stamp they used creates a non slip surface all by itself.

flyer.jpg
[/URL]

Stamped here. With something called "sure step" over it. Slick as GLASS! going to have to do something. Not as bad for me as I am used to it and a lot less likely to be running than most of the pool's users. We had an 11 year old party last Friday and a 13 year old party on Saturday, and that was the first thing I addressed to each group before they even got wet.

Yes, hot also, but our pool gets FULL sun from 9:30 until almost 7 right now. Have been uncovered and swimming since March 30. Temp is 86 without even using the solar heater right now. It's our first summer with it and we couldn't wait any longer.

Congratulations on getting one, and hope it goes well for you.

8corneflakes said:
ours is stamped, but I'm not sure it would be called the 'rock' look. It is more of a slate/granite look. We love it. It gets warm when it's dry, but there is almost always water on it from splashing. when I'm vacuuming or maintaing the pool and it gets warm, I just dip my feet in the pool. So many people warned us about how slick it gets. Ours is not slick at all. As far as I know, then didn't put anything in it to make it non-slick. The stamp they used creates a non slip surface all by itself.

Do you know what sealant was used on your deck? Oil based seems more slick than water based. I like the look of the oil based, but will probably go with water based for the extra grip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just had mine done using what's called "textured Stone" finish. The colors used were silver base with charcoal release. The "brand" was Stampcrete.

The sealant that was put on uses some kind of fine grit mixed in with it so it is supposedly no more slippery than ordinary brushed concrete. Not all deck companies I spoke to used it but the guy I used said he uses it on every deck he pours. From my limited time on it, it seems to be non-slippery but we shall see this weekend when my kids are running around it.

No clue on "hot" yet but my cement guy swears it gets no hotter than standard brushed concrete.

The finished color on mine now that it's dried is lighter than what you see in these pics. The last pic shows a few areas that they came back to touch up which appear darker than the rest of the deck which has had time to cure.

I thought I'd mention SunDeck. Its a spary on product over concrete and is supposed to be textured (slip resistant) as well as cooler than other materials.
It also has the ability to be applied in various patterns and colors to mimic stone or other products.

We have cantilever coping that was poured in place before the deck. We were supposed to have the coping broom finished and the deck stamped for a slight contrast since they're both gray, but the guys accidentally stamped the coping so we decided to broom finish the deck instead. Not sure what that's going to look like when it's said and done, but it's too late to go back now.

The deck was poured 2 days ago and is still drying in this picture:

Attachments

• phone 063b.jpg
    phone 063b.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 418
We had "Stampcrete" stamped concrete (installed by John Sayer from Blairstown, NJ) used for our front walk, front stoop and back patio. What a debacle. Within 1 year the concrete pour on the back patio and the front stoop was scaling up - huge pits. No issues with the front walk which came from the same pour as the front stoops. Installer came back and said it was because I used salt - not true. I kept calling him and he came back a second time about year and a half after the job had been completed. He agreed there was an issue with the concrete but didn't want to take core samples for testing, then he stopped taking calls and never showed up.

I spoke to a lawyer, it would cost me about 7k dollars to sue him for 7.2k dollars to repair the work so we're in limbo right now.

The pastor at our local church also had stamped concrete used for the public area between the church and the rectory - they're having the same kind of scaling issue.

Stamped concrete looks great if you don't have any issues.

Hmm...I was totally sold on standard brushed concrete until landscapers/pool builder/neighbors all said that no one does that anymore and everyone does stamped. Kind of regretting that right now and its only been a few days....LOL!!!

Any Concrete is all about the prep work, it has to be prepped correctly.

I have stamped on my Front Porch, Walk Way, and Back Patio. They all look great after 3 years, but they are slippery. I am told there is a finish you cna put on it to make it have more grip, but I never tried it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.