Persistent cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment for Fe

npkr

Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

I am stumped.

I opened my pool for the first time about four weeks ago (it was built last summer). Shocked it, cleared up the water-crystal clear. However, I had iron staining at the winter water line along the side of the pool, confirmed with ascorbic acid test. I have a 37,000 gal pool and cleared the stains by eventually adding a total of 5 lbs of ascorbic acid (2 weeks ago) after letting the chlorine level go to zero. I also placed a CuLator 4 ppm Power Pack in pump basket. At this point, or after I added Jack's Magic Purple stuff metal sequestrant a few hours later, it started to become cloudy. I realized after I added it that Purple Stuff is for not intended for salt water pools. I called Jack's Magic office and they said it simply won't work in salt water pools, not that it will harm anything. They recommended the Pink Stuff. I eventually got another metal sequetrant made for salt water pools with chlorine generators (not "Pink Stuff"- "Metal Free" I think) and added the appropriate amount of this to the pool according to the instructions. Water still cloudy. Not green or discolored, just not clear- a milky appearance. Iron stains have not reappeared (yet).

About a day after I added the ascorbic acid and the first sequestrant (purple stuff), I added liquid chlorine bleach to chew up the Ascorbic acid, which it did and I got sustained chlorine levels of 1-3 ppm for about a week. Through this the water remained cloudy. Then, with the warm and sunny weather we had over the last week the chlorine dropped to virtually nothing- zero or close to it Friday evening. I checked the cyanuric acid for the first time this season and it was essentially zero. I have been adding CYA gradually over the last few days to bring it up to a target level of 50-60. It was up to 25 yesterday before I added more CYA. I shocked the pool with 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach 3 days ago (Friday) at 10 pm at night and shut off the chlorine generator. The next morning, pool still cloudy, measured chlorine with test kit. I tested the following morning, this past Saturday. To my surprise, after shocking the pool with all that bleach 9 hours before, free chlorine was 0.5 or less, combined chloramines were 0.5 or less, and total chlorine thus one or less. I retested three times. Unfortunately, I was lazy and didn't take the same chlorine measurements before shocking, so I am not sure where it was when I started. I know now I should have. :oops: Hardness a little low at about 200. Will add calcium to bring it up. Salt level fine for the chlorine generator- 3200. pH between 6.8 and 7.4 over last week.

The pool remains cloudy. Again, there is no green discoloration whatsoever- it doesn't look to me like algae. What should I do? Should I shock again? Add a clarifier? Algaecide? I am out of ideas. :(

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Persistent cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment fo

duraleigh,

Tested yesterday, FC was 0.5 or less (ie, one drop of reagent causes color change back to clear), CC was 0.5 or less. CYA yesterday was up to 25 (from zero). I have since added 5 lbs more CYA and will retest again later today. Waiting for rain to stop.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.