Semi Pool "Closing"

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
So, I am going to be re-tiling the top 9 inches of my pool in the next few days. I am currently waiting on the tile to come in (should be here Thursday).
During this time, I will need to drain the pool below the skimmer line and leave it that way for probably two days. This, to let the mortar/grout dry properly.

My question is, without being able to run the pump during this time, what should I do to keep algae from ruining my presently clear, beautiful water?

Mr. Blue said:
So, I am going to be re-tiling the top 9 inches of my pool in the next few days. I am currently waiting on the tile to come in (should be here Thursday).
During this time, I will need to drain the pool below the skimmer line and leave it that way for probably two days. This, to let the mortar/grout dry properly.

My question is, without being able to run the pump during this time, what should I do to keep algae from ruining my presently clear, beautiful water?
This would be one of those situations where an algaecide is called for. Polyquat60 is what to shop for. Here's what Pool School says:
Polyquat
Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]
The only algaecide we recommend using. Often sold in a 60% concentration as Algaecide 60 or something similar. Other kinds of algaecide have various problems, adding metals, foaming, bad smells, etc, depending on what they contain. Algaecide is most effective at preventing algae from getting started, and doesn't do very well against an active algae bloom.

Richard320 said:
Mr. Blue said:
So should I just broadcast that in after I drain the pool?
Or should I maybe add it in the night before?
It's a liquid. You pour liquids in front of a return and allow them plenty of time to mix. I'd pour it in a couple days early so it really has a chance to disperse.
Ah, right. :oops:

Do you think adding the correct amount for the size of the pool will keep me safe for a couple of days of no circulation? Or should I add in a bit extra?

Mr. Blue said:
Richard320 said:
[quote="Mr. Blue":6aahg0fr]So should I just broadcast that in after I drain the pool?
Or should I maybe add it in the night before?
It's a liquid. You pour liquids in front of a return and allow them plenty of time to mix. I'd pour it in a couple days early so it really has a chance to disperse.
Ah, right. :oops:

Do you think adding the correct amount for the size of the pool will keep me safe for a couple of days of no circulation? Or should I add in a bit extra?[/quote:6aahg0fr]Just follow the directions. People use it when they close their pools for months in the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.