Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Semi Pool "Closing"

1. Back To Top    #1

Semi Pool "Closing"

So, I am going to be re-tiling the top 9 inches of my pool in the next few days. I am currently waiting on the tile to come in (should be here Thursday).
    During this time, I will need to drain the pool below the skimmer line and leave it that way for probably two days. This, to let the mortar/grout dry properly.

My question is, without being able to run the pump during this time, what should I do to keep algae from ruining my presently clear, beautiful water?
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Semi Pool "Closing"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
    So, I am going to be re-tiling the top 9 inches of my pool in the next few days. I am currently waiting on the tile to come in (should be here Thursday).
    During this time, I will need to drain the pool below the skimmer line and leave it that way for probably two days. This, to let the mortar/grout dry properly.

My question is, without being able to run the pump during this time, what should I do to keep algae from ruining my presently clear, beautiful water?
    This would be one of those situations where an algaecide is called for. Polyquat60 is what to shop for. Here's what Pool School says:
    Polyquat
    Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]
    The only algaecide we recommend using. Often sold in a 60% concentration as Algaecide 60 or something similar. Other kinds of algaecide have various problems, adding metals, foaming, bad smells, etc, depending on what they contain. Algaecide is most effective at preventing algae from getting started, and doesn't do very well against an active algae bloom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So should I just broadcast that in after I drain the pool?
    Or should I maybe add it in the night before?

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a liquid. You pour liquids in front of a return and allow them plenty of time to mix. I'd pour it in a couple days early so it really has a chance to disperse.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It's a liquid. You pour liquids in front of a return and allow them plenty of time to mix. I'd pour it in a couple days early so it really has a chance to disperse.
    Ah, right.

Do you think adding the correct amount for the size of the pool will keep me safe for a couple of days of no circulation? Or should I add in a bit extra?

6. Back To Top    #6

[quote=Mr. Blue]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr. Blue":6aahg0fr
    Ah, right.

Do you think adding the correct amount for the size of the pool will keep me safe for a couple of days of no circulation? Or should I add in a bit extra?[/quote:6aahg0fr]Just follow the directions. People use it when they close their pools for months in the winter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do. Thanks.