Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New water

1. Back To Top    #1

New water

Hello all! I've been reading all of the posts on this forum and I think I will try the BBB method this year. I put in a new liner and filled the pool yesterday. I haven't been able to find any past posts about starting up using the BBB way with fresh water. Do I need to bring the chlorine up to shock level, or just up to 2ppm? So far all I have done is put in 3 lbs of stabilizer and 2 lbs baking soda (TA checked at 80). Thanks for any advice!
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2
    No need to shock fresh water. Just bring your FC up the the proper level for the amount of CYA you added. Use Jason's calculator.

Also, check your pH and get that adjusted soon. With the addition of the soda, you may have raised the pH a bit...

Welcome to TFP!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thank you!
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method