Recommendations for Above Ground Pool

Jun 3, 2013
I am also looking for an above ground pool 18' wide 54" = depth and 33- 40 in length.

I have researched a lot of companies. I thought I had it down to 3 manufacturers : Doughboy, Diamond Star and Intex.
Doughboy I believe is #1; obviously the most expensive and comes with a Life time warranty for all its components.

Diamond Star is #2: with Lifetime warranty on the pool wall, 2yr. warranty on the pool pump, 15yr warranty on the liner, and 10 yr. warranty on the pool filter.

Intex is #3 : with a 60 yr. lifetime warranty. However, in reading all the reviews, the 60 yr warranty does not apply to many of the components. Their customer service is the worst, they don't train their representatives to answer technical questions. Their pool ladders are not strudy, their liners are delivered with holes in them.etc. etc.

I also want a salt water system.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that can give me some advise and expertise in selecting the a secure manufacturer . I would appreciate all concerns whether they are positive or negative.
I have had 2 in ground gunite pools of which my husband and I built our first one. Therefore, I do have some knowledge of the in :party: ground pools. However, I don't have much knowledge on the above ground pools and what I need to be looking for.

What I have come to realize is that I need to select a very strong pool liner.
The maximum strength and the highest HP pool pump and filter that is sold for above ground pools, floor padding and coving (pad that goes in the corner between the side wall and the floor of the liner), wall foam, in wall pool skimmer/filter and a automatic pool sweep, resin top rail and screws and parts that are stainless steel and won't rust. Most important is also the life time warranty on everything if possible.

Welcome to tfp, H20BEAR :wave:

Is this to replace an existing pool or is it a new install?

As you already know, Doughboy makes a good pool. I would steer away from the intex if longevity is your goal (and not price). I am not familiar with Diamond star brand, but they appear to be part of Wilbar International, which has many different pool lines...one of which is mine (aqualeader) and another (sharkline) which is fairly highly regarded on this forum. But again, I can't say much about Diamond star specifically, and I do not recall much discussion of them on this forum.

H20BEAR said:
The maximum strength and the highest HP pool pump and filter that is sold for above ground pools,
You do not want a big pump. In general a smaller pump with a bigger filter is best and can often not be found "packaged" together. We also stongly recommend getting a 2-speed pump, since most of your filtering time is best on low speed.

H20BEAR said:
wall foam
I would skip this...it does not really improve heat retention much and can make the liner more susceptible to getting holes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.