Calculating, adjusting other chemicals in salt water pool?

Jun 1, 2013
I was told go to the pool caluclator but not sure how to use it and not sure if it does what I need. :( I like to know if your PH is too high or your alkalinity is too high or chlorine to high or low. How much do you pour into your pool to adjust it? Is there a formula for this?

I don't want to wait every few hours to find out if I reach the exact target.

I am sure there is a formula or standard amount to put into different types of pools holding different gallons of water. Would it be just a cup per gallon? How about if you just need to adjust it by 50% or even by 20%? What the correct amount to pour in????

Thanks!

Re: Calculating, adjusting other chemicals in salt water poo

Yes, it is at poolcalculator, and will vary depending on the size of your pool.

When you go there, first thing enter the size of your pool in gallons at the top (if you don't know there are some tools to help you guess at the bottom)

Then go to the bottom of the calculator field where it has suggested goals, pick Trouble Free Pools, then your primary chlorine source, and what type of finish your pool has

you can then enter your current and target numbers (it guesses mid level target numbers based on your pool profile, but you can fine tune)

Also at the bottom it has the "Effects of adding Chemicals) place where it shows what X ounces of a chemical will do to YOUR pool based on the number of gallons you told it at the top

Thanks! I work it out! :mrgreen: the target and now was not clear to me.

However when I put in 2.1 as pH. It says I need to put in 101lbs of Borax! WOW! What is the Ph level when you fill it with fresh water? Would it be some where along there or higher?

Again very new to this! Newbie! :oops:

Thanks!

There is no one formula for any given pool. There are too many factors that have a play on things, and some are inter-related. Why would you even be putting in a pH of 2.1 or anything similar? Is that a typo error? In any event, the pH when you fill is the same as your fill water. Please spend some time in Pool School and come back to let us answer questions as you go along.

Why would you even be putting in a pH of 2.1 or anything similar? Is that a typo error...

Oh no, no typo I meant that! :) Well perhaps the ph could be this low when testing it that's why..

I have finally gone to school pool and finally got my grades. :mrgreen:
As said I understand how to do it now and no problem if ph is 2.1 the answer is that I just need to raise it with borax. :) That is what I wanted to know how to raise it or lower it if needed. :)

I am newbie so excuse my clumsyness on the topic.. :paddle:

OK, then please tell us where you are getting a pH of 2.1 from. Is that from strips? If not, what test is telling you 2.1 pH? Something is amiss here unless you have added a massive amount of acid to your pool. Maybe you are using the wrong reagent for your test, or perhaps it is bad. Either way this isn't right. You wouldn't even have fill water with a pH below 5.0...even if it were filled with pure RO water. I don't know what's going on here, but something is wrong with this situation.

Nothing is wrong! :) It was an if question! :)

I made a worse case scenario! Sorry! I just wanted to know if i tested the water and it was that low what will need to happen? I have gotten my pool so asking all these questions so I can know exactly what to do!

So sorry for the silly question and shocking you in thinking where on earth is this newbie getting his water from! It was just an if!

Okay a low ph means that it will sting correct?

So it can happen so nothing but for my case no I was just stating and if case. Cause I just did not know what was the standard ph level of water....

Hope that clear things up...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.