Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump housing o-ring/gasket, AO Smith/Century brand, leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump housing o-ring/gasket, AO Smith/Century brand, leak

I think my housing o-ring is bad since my pump is leaking out the bottom. There is only a clamp holding the pump together (no bolts). I can't find what o-ring to buy anywhere! Can someone help find what o-ring I need for this motor?

Brand Name, Part No, Century Stock No, HP, RPM, Volts, Frame Size, Phase, Motor Type, Frequency, Enclosure
    A.O. Smith, B848, B2848, 1.0, 3450, 230/115, Y56Y, 1, CX, 60, ODP

Thanks!
    My Pool:
    26,000 Gallon, In-ground, Vinyl lined, Sand Filter, BBB Method, TF-100, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump housing o-ring/gasket, AO Smith/Century brand, leak

Probably 95% of the time when water is coming from what looks like the bottom of the pump it's the shaft seal that's leaking. Unless you're sure it's the casing o-ring I'd get the go-kit for your pump.

Unfortunately the info your give is for the motor and tells you nothing about the pump, which is what you're going to have to know in order to get parts for it. If you can't find anything on the pump, post some pictures of it and maybe someone will recognize it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks! Ill get some numbers off the pump tomorrow an maybe I can find a go-kit with the correct numbers...
    My Pool:
    26,000 Gallon, In-ground, Vinyl lined, Sand Filter, BBB Method, TF-100, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dkellerd
    Ok, thanks! Ill get some numbers off the pump tomorrow an maybe I can find a go-kit with the correct numbers...
    I just saw this. As Dave said, the shaft seal is your culprit - but you source that by pump identification, not by motor identification.
    So, you'll need to state what pump you have to figure out what shaft seal you have.
    For example, my 3/4" shaft uses a standard PS-201 Buna rubber seal (Pentair P/N 37400-0027S) and, the upsell would be a Viton PS3868 (Pentair P/N 37400-0028S).
    By sourcing trade sizes, instead of Pentair part numbers, I can get the Viton seal for about 1/2 the price of the Buna (aka Nitrile) rubber seal at pool stores.
    Details here.
    Silicon Valley, 38,500 gallons in-ground plaster; Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150, 259 sqft cartridge 25022-0203S + 191 sqft cartridge #25021-0202S = 450 sqft filter@0.28gpm/sqft = 125 gpm@50psi max. Three 220v Sta-Rite Max-e-Glas II pumps {AO Smith QC1102 1.0x1.65SF for filter + cleaner; SQ1152 1.5x1.47SF for spa jets; square 48Y flange}. 13 Fafco 12'x4' professionally installed "Revolution" solar heating panels + Raypak RP2100 P-R 405A-EP LPG 399,000/hour heater + Compool Lx3600 controller + Infinity 4000 automatic pool cover (120v 3/4 HP motor); both skimmers are NOT filtered & serve only as intake for 9-port water valves (aka cleaner heads) controlling fifteen Paramount PCC2000 3" self-cleaning jets with the optional Debris Containment Canister.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like my pump info may no longer be readable...how else can I find the correct part I need?

My Pool:

6. Back To Top    #6

Also...I thought releasing that silver clamp would allow me to remove the motor from the pump housing...evidently I need to take off the screws too? Or am I not pulling hard enough...
    My Pool:

7. Back To Top    #7

I found this video...looks pretty much exactly like my pump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpe-9mgnCds

Guess I know what to do now if I can find the correct shaft seal...
    My Pool:

8. Back To Top    #8

Getting closer! Can I take this to Leslie's and get a correct replacement? I have a pool party supposed to happen this weekend...so i'm in a bit of a rush...

My Pool:

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that you have a Pac Fab Challenger pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think you're right! Thanks! It says Pac-Fab on the other side of the strainer pot...
    My Pool:

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If replacing with a US Seal brand seal you would need a "PS-200", this is a common brand of seals sold at most pool stores. When you get inside you'll probably at least want to replace the o-ring on the diffuser also as they tend to loose shape and stretch over time.

Side tip: Also when you go to remove the impeller there is a screw in the middle of it going into the shaft of the motor. This is a reverse thread screw. The impeller itself is threaded to the shaft of the motor with standard threads.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

12. Back To Top    #12

I already removed my seals...that pic above is of my actual seal. I'll ask for a PS-200 seal tomorrow at Leslie's then...it looks like some online kits were selling an AS-200 seal for this model pump?
    My Pool:

13. Back To Top    #13

You should probably get a lid O-ring and a housing O-ring at the same time if you haven't changed those in a while.
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... .php?id=23

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    You should probably get a lid O-ring and a housing O-ring at the same time if you haven't changed those in a while.
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... .php?id=23
    Just a friendly bit of cost advice...

You can vastly lower the cost of those o-rings and seals if you take the advice of sourcing by trade size.
    Today, for example, I sourced my Sta-Rite (aka Pentair) Max-e-glas II Pool Pump seal by part number and by trade size.
    Look at the wide divergence of prices, for the same thing!
    So, my advice to you is to pay around $10 to $15 for your replacement seal; and pay about $1 to $5 for the o-rings (sourced by trade size).
    Silicon Valley, 38,500 gallons in-ground plaster; Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150, 259 sqft cartridge 25022-0203S + 191 sqft cartridge #25021-0202S = 450 sqft filter@0.28gpm/sqft = 125 gpm@50psi max. Three 220v Sta-Rite Max-e-Glas II pumps {AO Smith QC1102 1.0x1.65SF for filter + cleaner; SQ1152 1.5x1.47SF for spa jets; square 48Y flange}. 13 Fafco 12'x4' professionally installed "Revolution" solar heating panels + Raypak RP2100 P-R 405A-EP LPG 399,000/hour heater + Compool Lx3600 controller + Infinity 4000 automatic pool cover (120v 3/4 HP motor); both skimmers are NOT filtered & serve only as intake for 9-port water valves (aka cleaner heads) controlling fifteen Paramount PCC2000 3" self-cleaning jets with the optional Debris Containment Canister.

15. Back To Top    #15

I replaced the shaft seal and the o-rings and no more leaks...thanks everyone!
    My Pool:

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks so much got a lot of information which is very useful.