Is it possible or advisable to add a second skimmer?

Jun 4, 2012
NW CT
We have a 21x43 agp and it came with only 1 skimmer and return. We haven't had it a full year yet but it just seems to me that if we had 2 skimmers at least and maybe just the 1 return we would get much better flow,movement, and filtration. Right now it seems we always have stuff floating on the surface. The pump has been running 24/7 now for 11 days trying to clean the swamp and there is still stuff floating.

So do you guys think that would help or not?

If so, does anyone know of a way to do it without dumping all the water to below the skimmer level? If I could do it with all the water in I may do it now, if not then it def would wait till we closed the pool for the season. I did a quick search but have found nothing.

Thanks

Well I am not a super expert, but I see no way to add a new skimmer (assuming your are in the pool wall) unless the water is lowered. I guess you could add a over the wall skimmer, just the plumbing would be fun. Sure more experts will chime in.

Many of us have replaced our over the wall skimmers with standard thru the wall skimmers without draining the pools. You can do a search in search window at the bottom of the page for some of our stories. I've not yet heard of any one installing a second one tho. The experts on here would be more apt to be able to answer that.

EDIT NOTE: Sorry, I didn't read the OP completely. Didn't realize this was a metal side pool. OOPS! Never mind. . . :hammer:

I have done a few searches ow and have not found anything on adding a skimmer or installing one with the pool full of water for a regular steel wall agp. I have found tons of stuff on doing it with intex pools.

With a steel wall pool I'm just wondering if the same process might work as the intex and if someone else has already been the Guine pig? If you drilled the 4 corner holes and then sandwiched the inside plate and a gasket then a gasket on the outside then the skimmer itself together with the 4 screws you could then drill the rest of the holes and then use something to cut the steel wall from the inside. Idk? Half of it will be underwater so the only thing I can think of to cut the steel wall is a utility knife. The more I think about it the more it doesn't seem possible without draining the pool below the skimmer to do it. Any other suggestions or threads you guys could steer me towards?

Before adding another skimmer, do you have alot of Crud that normally drops in the pool from trees regularly? If so, then you might be a good candidate for another skimmer, but what worries me is that I feel you are saying your filtration setup isn't really doing what you expect it to.

May I suggest before you go crazy lowering water, cutting up the pool to add another skimmer that you look for a new return jet that has a venturi effect. If I can find the link later today I will come back here and add the exact one I got for my pool. Time for honestly here.....once I did that to my "little" 14' pool, I almost felt I had to much water movement....it wasn't a whirlpool, but you could easily see the water going around the pool. I will see if I can find those returns....they just screwed into the old Hayward return fitting. You may not have a skimmer problem but a water movement problem instead, two skimmers may help but if the water isn't being forced around the pool infront of the skimmer, how is it supposed to suck the Crud out of the water?

Bob E.

Do a web search for Infusion Pool Products, then hit the "products" page, that will lead you to several variations of the return I used this year. Like I said, BIG difference on the water movement....and don't do what I did. I dremeled out jet just a bit figuring that the opening was just to small....nope, it's not to small, it's just right. Opening it up caused almost to much flow in my little pool.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.