Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with scale

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with scale

Opened the pool two weeks ago no fuss and all looked good. Pool was built Sept 2010 and have been fighting constant pH creep. Previous two openings pH was high but no scaling issues. This year pH was off the charts high (was 7.4 when i closed). Took 2 gallons muratic acid and 5lbs dry acid to get ph down and stable in first few days. The good news is that TA is down to 60 and pH creep has subsided. After two seasons of constantly adding MA i was ecstatic. However, then I noticed the plaster has gotten very rough like sand paper below the winter drain water line. I am assuming it is calcium scale. Also finding piles of sandy substance in Polaris bag, assuming that is calcium scale too. Current test results as follows:
    PH 7.5
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    TA 60
    CH 210
    CYA 40
    Looking for recommendations. I don't relish the thought of drain and acid wash.
    28,800 gallons IG plaster
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with scale

Play with pool calculator and do whatever it takes to keep CSI negative - .3 to .5 works for me, and brush with a steel brush. If the stuff hasn't had time to really set up, you may be able to loosen it. If you see CH start to climb and you haven't been adding water, you'll know it's working. It does move at a glacial pace, however.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I don't know where your located, but 2 gal of Muratic is a MASSIVE AMOUNT.

Can you monitor and add during the winter?, and how often do you brush your pool?

Also check your CS Index on the pool calculator.

Scale can get so bad you have to drain and acid wash, sand, and or buff off the scale.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in Maryland. Been dumping lots of MA in pool first two years. Assummed it was due to new plaster year 1 but had TA of 100 which was probably exacerbating it. Second year I had TA 80 and still used over a quart a week.

I'm wondering if part of the problem was the closing Chems. I purchased a closing kit last fall instead of my usual sequestrant and shock. I was worried about the pH creep over winter first two years but didnt have much problem. Chemistry was same at close those years except TA was little higher.

Submersible pump and periodic pH tests might be in order next winter.

CSI has been between -.3 and -.6 since stabilizing pH. Water is warming now so will have to drop pH more to stay in zone.

5. Back To Top    #5

Also got lots of rain over winter and have a mesh cover. I guess that could be a difference from previous winters as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

mucoy: I'm having the same exact issues this year in Southern NJ. I put in a gallon of a product called ScaleTec about 2 weeks ago (says it takes 2-4 weeks to start working), have been keeping the pH low (7.0-7.2) and brushing with a stainless steel brush daily. I'm beginning to see some results, though it is a very slow process. I'm praying I don't have to drain and acid wash...let me know if you come across any other products/methods that work...
    25,000 gallon IG gunite pool with Diamondbrite finish built May, 2012
    All Pentair equipment:
    FNS Plus 48 sq. ft. DE Filter, 1 HP SuperFlo Pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/HR Heater, Prowler 820 Vacuum
    Test Kit - TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of trying the scaletec as well. Will let you know if I find success. I'm worried to go too low with the cSI because the top two steps don't have any of the rough plaster (scale I presume) and think I might see some pitting on those surfaces. Scaletec hopefully will help with the results without making water too corrosive to the unscaled plaster.