Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We just bought an Intex 22'x52" ultra frame...

1. Back To Top    #1

We just bought an Intex 22'x52" ultra frame...

What is most important to get level - the metal frame or the liner bottom? We just bought an Intex 22'x52" ultra frame. The frame top is level within 1" side to side but as we started to fill the liner bottom is more like 2-3". We have a little over 2" of water on one side and just a barely any on the other. I worked to level the frame but didn't dig out as much under the liner and wonder if I should have now. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: We just bought an Intex 22'x52" ultra frame...

Welcome to tfp, Bmrudolph

Frame first, but the bottom is a close second since having that uneven will put uneven stress on the supports.

If you are low on one side of the liner, did you build up that side under the legs?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

No I didn't add anything under the legs. I checked and a couple of the legs were not assembled properly. I had help from the kids.

I've decided not to fill this week and next weekend tear down and add more fill. Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4
    NE Ohio

When we put up our Intex, we dug out the high side instead of trying to build up the low side, but YMMV. Good luck! If your kids 'help' like mine do, you're gonna need it.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I decided to add rather than dig out to prevent washing during rains. I always go up to keep things from eroding, lots more work though to get it tamped and packed properly

6. Back To Top    #6
    Harker Heights, Texas

Just finished putting up a 22'x52". I opted to dig down. I kept reading all the horror stories and figured I really only wanted to do it once. Glad I did. Good luck, hope you get it up soon!
    22'x52" Intex 10,472 gal. w/ 2650 Sand Filter, using Taylor K2006 Kit. BBB

My Build:

7. Back To Top    #7

Orlando, FL

I built up 3 times and each time, it eventually washed away. Finally, the fourth time, I dug down and that pool, although still a little uneven, is still standing. Also, I found that the more times you put up/take down an Intex pool you run the risk of tiny little pinhole leaks in the bottom that are not a problem UNTIL you take it down and move it to fix the ground. I would suggest, since you are in the initial install, that you dig down to help ensure that you do not have to revisit the situation in the future. There are more successes with digging down than building up. Good luck.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).