I created an App to control pool equipment with smartphone

Sep 22, 2011
What's up everyone? I created an App that allows me to control my pool equipment from my smartphone. Right now it is set up to allow me to do the following:

1. Turn the pool light off and on;
2. Change the color of the pool light;
3. Turn the fiber-optic lights off and on;
4. Turn the pool pump off and on;
5. Turn the polaris pool cleaner off and on.

It's pretty nice since my pool equipment controls are located on the other end of the yard and I have to step through mulch and whatnot to access them. It's kind of a pain in the Rear when you're barefoot (as I often am in the backyard).

Anyway, here's a video showing it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlHLsxw6GM

Check it out!

Kevin

Attachments

• 20130527_174414.jpg
    20130527_174414.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 893
  • 20130527_154418.jpg
    20130527_154418.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 866
  • 20130527_174951.jpg
    20130527_174951.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 856
Re: I created an App to control pool equipment with smartpho

Kevin,

What did you use to tie into your equipment to allow you to use the app you created. I have the Jandy iaqualink but I am curious what setup you used to communicate w/ the equipment. Looks good. Can't wait to see more.

Jerry

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hi... thanks.

I used a Raspberry Pi... it's a small (and cheap) Linux based computer that costs approximately $35.00. I have everything set up over wifi, and I use a Linux program called WebIOPi, which allows control of the GPIO (general purposes input/output) terminals via a generic web-interface. I then used a small relay board, connected to the GPIO terminals so that I could switch each relay off and on via the WebIOPi interface. Then it was just a matter of customizing the web-interface with some CSS and HTML edits. I then bought the enclosure at Lowes for about $20.00.

As far as wiring, I just ran the positive wire from whatever piece of equipment I wanted to turn off and on to the corresponding relay on the circuit board. The color-changing is done via the same method, but I have the relay set up to turn off for one second, and then back on, and then wait until the color cycles to the next color, and then flip off and back on again to keep the color.

Kevin

Kevin,

Awesome. I am using a raspberryPI as my music streaming device by my pool. I have a 2.5" LCD screen being powered by the gpio. Can you take some pics of your setup sounds very useful for some ideas I have. Which pi os did you use?

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks. The pictures are posted in the original post, but you need to be logged in to see them.

I was looking for something cool to do with my Pi when it first arrived, and I considered using it for a wifi streaming device, but I already have a bluetooth adapter connected to my home stereo so I can stream music from my phone or tablet or whatever through my home theater system. I can then play it through my outdoor speakers. It's a nice setup, but the range on my bluetooth adapter sucks, so it doesn't always work well from my patio table or over by the pool.

Anyway, I'm happy with this set up. I'm thinking about installing an outlet connected to my last two relays that are not in use, so I can have two auxiliary inputs that I could use to plug anything else into that I'd like to control wirelessly, such as my landscape lighting, or my water feature. The relays are rated at 16A @ 240Vs, so they can handle a pretty big load.

Kevin

I just added a relay in my aqualink power center box to run my landscape lighting. I installed breaker that hooks the hot side into the relay and then runs out to the gfci. The transformer is plugged into the gfci so I am cutting power to the gfci.

I use Tapatalk so sometimes images don't show up on it.

Nice... that's basically what I'm looking to do.

I just looked up some info on the aqualink setup you have... that's very nice... sort of the same thing I've done but more robust (and much sleeker :goodjob: ). I would like to incorporate a thermometer and maybe ph sensor so I can see my pool temperature and ph levels right from my phone on the same interface that I have now for my buttons. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it wirelessly from the pool to the Raspberry Pi. I was thinking about running a small wire out to my pool, but then that would be a PIA when closing the pool, or if the wire get's screwed up or whatever.

Edit: By the way, you should log in via the web and check the pictures out... being a Raspberry Pi fan, you'll probably be impressed with the setup.

Very cool, not sure if I'd need it, I'm not lazy enough to not walk my fat butt out to the Pool shed yet...

However, if someone invents an automated way to test out your pool water and deliver the results via email, that person will be a millionaire. :)

I did log in and look at it I post the last time. What a neat install and really like how you have it setup. Mine is in an old orbit sprinkler box. Saving some money to get a nice box w/ a couple of fans to combat some heat issues. The amp keeps the box a little warm and w/ the sun it makes more heat. Checkout raspbmc forum. I have seen some people on there talk about thermometer setups plus I have seen some on the raspberryPI forum as well. That would be super cool to see the thermometer communicate wirelessly.

This looks like a project I would really enjoy!! Thanks for posting it!!

Are your pump motors 120v or 240v? Have you bypassed the intermatic timers altogether and use the Raspberry Pi to control the on/off time everyday?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jkurl said:
I did log in and look at it I post the last time. What a neat install and really like how you have it setup. Mine is in an old orbit sprinkler box. Saving some money to get a nice box w/ a couple of fans to combat some heat issues. The amp keeps the box a little warm and w/ the sun it makes more heat. Checkout raspbmc forum. I have seen some people on there talk about thermometer setups plus I have seen some on the raspberryPI forum as well. That would be super cool to see the thermometer communicate wirelessly.

Thanks... I was worried about heat issues, especially because the box is sealed, but so far, so good. I thought about adding ventilation, but that would complicate the weatherproofing issues. Everything runs pretty cool but in the hot sun I may have issues. The good thing is this area on my house never gets direct sunlight... it's always in the shade.

Kevin

rdhetrick said:

Are your pump motors 120v or 240v? Have you bypassed the intermatic timers altogether and use the Raspberry Pi to control the on/off time everyday?

Hi... the pumps are 120v, but the relays can switch up to 16A at 240v, so either way it would work. Good question on the timers... I haven't actually decided yet. When I first set out on this project, my plan was to bypass the intermatic timers entirely and use a javascript interface so I could set the on/off times via my webapp. I've since backed off of that idea since I'm kind of favoring the simplicity of the intermatic timers. I may end up just splitting the line from the main breaker and running one of the hots to the timer and one to a relay... that way I could still use the timers, but I could manually turn the pumps off and on from my phone if I wanted (like when you just want to run the pumps for a little while in the evening after adding chlorine or if you have a water feature hooked up to a return jet). Right now the pumps are not hooked up to the relays.

Kevin

kodiak1120 said:
Thanks... I was worried about heat issues, especially because the box is sealed, but so far, so good. I thought about adding ventilation, but that would complicate the weatherproofing issues. Everything runs pretty cool but in the hot sun I may have issues. The good thing is this area on my house never gets direct sunlight... it's always in the shade.

Kevin

If it is not getting direct sunlight you should be good. I had to move my box it gets direct sunlight for only 25% of the day if that. It was in direct sunlight most of the day and the pi was getting well over its op temp and never missed a beat. There is a router box w/ fans I want but is about $150-$200.

You bring up a good point... I should be monitoring the temps inside the box when it's hot out... just because it's not malfunctioning doesn't mean it's not getting too hot. Next time I'm home during the day, I'll check my temps and see what I get.

Kevin

As an update, I have't had any heat-related issues although this weather we're having should put that to the test. So far the system has worked flawlessly since it was installed about a month ago. It's really nice being able to turn off my pool light from inside my house without having to trek through my yard and mulch.

Kevin

kodiak1120 said:
rdhetrick said:

Hi... the pumps are 120v, but the relays can switch up to 16A at 240v, so either way it would work. Good question on the timers... I haven't actually decided yet. When I first set out on this project, my plan was to bypass the intermatic timers entirely and use a javascript interface so I could set the on/off times via my webapp. I've since backed off of that idea since I'm kind of favoring the simplicity of the intermatic timers. I may end up just splitting the line from the main breaker and running one of the hots to the timer and one to a relay... that way I could still use the timers, but I could manually turn the pumps off and on from my phone if I wanted (like when you just want to run the pumps for a little while in the evening after adding chlorine or if you have a water feature hooked up to a return jet). Right now the pumps are not hooked up to the relays.

Kevin

You could indeed switch a 240V pump with those relays, but I would think there would be a safety issue with SPST relays. For 240V, you combine two 120V hots, and only one side would be switched by the relay. This would mean that the unswitched side would be at 120V over neutral/ground. This would certainly be a safety issue if anyone were to contact one of those hot wires when they thought the system was "off." It would be better to use a DPST relay so that both hot legs would be disconnected from the pump, heater, etc.

BTW, what a very cool system. I had thought about doing this myself a couple of years ago, but didn't want to have to do all of the hardware work. With an RPi and one of these relay boards, it is amazing to see what can now be done. Now to just throw in some sort of flow meter, pressure sensors, pH and ORP sensors and you could truly have a Trouble Free Pool!

great ,now im gonna need an I phone. I'm handy but the rasberry wiring part gets me . looks like clean simple build . can we get a diagram of the rasberry wiring connections ?

CraigMW said:
kodiak1120 said:
rdhetrick said:

Kevin

You could indeed switch a 240V pump with those relays, but I would think there would be a safety issue with SPST relays. For 240V, you combine two 120V hots, and only one side would be switched by the relay. This would mean that the unswitched side would be at 120V over neutral/ground. This would certainly be a safety issue if anyone were to contact one of those hot wires when they thought the system was "off." It would be better to use a DPST relay so that both hot legs would be disconnected from the pump, heater, etc.

BTW, what a very cool system. I had thought about doing this myself a couple of years ago, but didn't want to have to do all of the hardware work. With an RPi and one of these relay boards, it is amazing to see what can now be done. Now to just throw in some sort of flow meter, pressure sensors, pH and ORP sensors and you could truly have a Trouble Free Pool!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CraigMW said:
kodiak1120 said:
rdhetrick said:

Kevin

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Great Job... I'm about to do the same... However i'm going to use arduino and then bring that into the Pi for the inputs... As I want the Temp/Flo Sensors and the ph sensors.. there's already a ton for android and the code exists so I wouldn't end up rewriting for pi.

I like your simple relay setup... I'll have a look for a multi relay board like that.. could be really useful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.