I need help clearing my pool

I have noticed one thing I find odd. When I perform the chlorine test with the DPD powder, I add the heaping scoop to the pool water and the DPD turns pink but as I swirl it goes back to clear. I read under the extended test directions to add more DPD, I do add more and it will turn deep pink to almost red in color. Then when I add the R-0871 drop by drop swirling after each drop it takes over 90 drops to even lighten a bit but never goes all the way to clear. Could I have poured way too much liquid chlorine in the pool and now the chlorine is so high I can't read it properly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added over 20 bottles of bleach over a weeks time. I know this is way too much but I was trying to fight what I thought was algae. I had talked with a friend yesterday that works with a pool store and he came over this morning and looked at my pool for no cost and told me it was suspended particles and dead algae. He gave me a bottle of clarifier, I believe it was some type of flock, and told me to poor it in and run the pump for an hour then shut it off. I just went out and looked at the pool and it is much clearer and I can see the bottom and all the junk on the bottom I must clean.

Merc Sof said:
FC 28
CC .5
PH 7.8
TA 150
CH 120
CYA 50
If the water is clear aside from the debris you're kicking up, I'd say it might be time to add some DE to the filter and try the overnight loss test.

What do the stains look like? If it's brownish from leaves and stuff rotting on the bottom, they should lighten with time and chlorine. Metal stains require other treatment, and I'd suggest you enjoy your clear pool for a few days before you start your next project.

Merc Sof said:
Thanks Richard,

How would I add the DE to my sand filter?
The stains are a rust to brown color, I believe they are from the rotting leaves.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

[center:2uqrkv9s]
file.php
[/center:2uqrkv9s]

:whoot: I have been very busy lately. Last night after I got home from work I picked up my skimmer basket to empty it and a spider bit me!! Ouch! Tonight I noticed my sand filter was leaking from the clamp at the top, I had to cut the pipes to change the o-ring so I decided to change my sand. WHEW!!! finally all back together, backwashed and now cleaner than ever :) :party:

Now I am able to not run my pump as long and save on the power bill. Thanks to all for the help and the advice.

Now to decide if I want the vinyl liner replaced or live with the leaf stains on the shallow end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.