PH Accuracy with Shock Level Chlorine

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
We just finished the shock process a couple days ago and FC is 17, CC 0, PH 7.3, TA 130, CYA 60.

I read that when chlorine is high that PH testing is inaccurate. Just wondering if that's true or not, and should I be adding Borax or Soda Ash to increase the PH, or should I wait for chlorine to go down to normal range? Also, my TA is high so not sure if I should adjust that now, or wait on doing that.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the replies and the link. This morning FC is 14.5, CC 0, and CYA 60 (was late for work so I haven't done a full test yet). PH is reading at 7.4. Since FC is higher than 10, I wonder if my PH is really lower than it's reading.

Once the chlorine comes down to normal range, I'll be turning on the SWG, which will probably make the PH go up anyway.

Would you guys suggest just leaving PH alone for now?

Ok, thanks Jason :)

I do have one last question, since it might be a few days to get the chlorine down, would it be ok to run the heater while the FC is still high? I really want to heat up the pool. Water temp this morning was only 70, and it's not supposed to be very hot here for the next week or so. I'd have to run the heater for a good 10 hours or so and I'm not sure if the high chlorine might be bad for it. I'd imagine short term it wouldn't be, but just want to make sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.