Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Accuracy with Shock Level Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Accuracy with Shock Level Chlorine

We just finished the shock process a couple days ago and FC is 17, CC 0, PH 7.3, TA 130, CYA 60.

I read that when chlorine is high that PH testing is inaccurate. Just wondering if that's true or not, and should I be adding Borax or Soda Ash to increase the PH, or should I wait for chlorine to go down to normal range? Also, my TA is high so not sure if I should adjust that now, or wait on doing that.

Thanks!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Accuracy with Shock Level Chlorine

It is true, pH is artificially high when FC greater than 10ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the replies and the link. This morning FC is 14.5, CC 0, and CYA 60 (was late for work so I haven't done a full test yet). PH is reading at 7.4. Since FC is higher than 10, I wonder if my PH is really lower than it's reading.

Once the chlorine comes down to normal range, I'll be turning on the SWG, which will probably make the PH go up anyway.

Would you guys suggest just leaving PH alone for now?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, leave it alone for now. But do retest PH as soon as the FC level comes down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, thanks Jason

I do have one last question, since it might be a few days to get the chlorine down, would it be ok to run the heater while the FC is still high? I really want to heat up the pool. Water temp this morning was only 70, and it's not supposed to be very hot here for the next week or so. I'd have to run the heater for a good 10 hours or so and I'm not sure if the high chlorine might be bad for it. I'd imagine short term it wouldn't be, but just want to make sure.

7. Back To Top    #7

I may be totally screwed up but I'm pretty sure your water is going thru your heater regardless if the heater is on or not so I'm not sure what a high FC reading would matter.
    Ponduke
    20,000 gal/ Fiberglass IG/ Sta-rite s7m120 cartridge filter/Sta-rite SR400NA 400,000 btu heater/Polaris 360 Cleaner/K-2006 Test Kit
    poolcalculator
    Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Running the heater is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, Jason! Bmann71, good point! I was wondering the same thing but since I know zip about heaters, I figured there must be more to it