Final Payment due - leaky valve

geekfamily

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Metro St. Louis
Our pool build is finished, and the PB is coming out this week to review and collect final payment. However, I noticed today that one of the return ball valves leaks when I "partially close" it. When we run the pressure side cleaner, I partial close the returns to divert more pressure to the cleaner. Today it started a drip when partially closed. It does not seem to leak when fully open or fully closed.

After researching here, seems my "red" valves are some cheap valves from China. I think if I press the PB, he would replace for free, since it should not leak, unless he says "don't partial close". :evil:

On the other hand, I think replacing with Jandy Neverlube type valves would be a great upgrade. I believe I can do that myself and not even bother with the PB...as we are so ready for "construction" folks to be gone :mrgreen:

From my photo, the top valve (returns) is the problem. If I replace with Jandy's myself, I would do the "cleaner" one as well...so my wife can more easily open/close it.

Question, since the current valves are butted up against the 90 degree elbow...what is the best method to replace? Should I dig down and remove the elbow as well...and use a coupling to attach a new elbow/valve section?

Attachments

• IMAG0421b.jpg
    IMAG0421b.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 122
I typically would (and may still)...but they will just replace with another cheap valve I am sure. Guess I could provide the Jandy valve and still have them replace. My wife is so ready for them to be done...and the fact that it does not leak when opened...I would almost prefer to do myself in the next month or so. I learned before that some of these guys that come out fix one thing and break 2 more things.

Anyone have tips on how best to replace if DIY?

Looking at a glance, it seems as though you would have to dig down and re-plumb upwards.

Better question: Can you tell precisely where in the valve the leak is coming from? Ours was coming from the red disk on the top of the handle. I popped out the red disk, put a 2" square piece of heavy plastic bag (from pool salt) across the top, and pressed the red disk back on. Magically, it created a seal. Eventually, I will replace it with a good quality valve, but am not ready to start digging! We just plumbed in a new filter.

But YOU'VE got all NEW equipment, and it SHOULD be handled by the PB. If you supply the valve(s), he might do it, but I wouldn't expect him to change out the other one (labelled cleaner) at no charge.

Good luck, and enjoy your pool.

Yeah, looks like a nightmare to repair, whole thing would probably have to be cut out and replaced, why pool builders seem to always glue in slip on fittings like this is beyond me, for an extra $30-$40 they could have added screw together unions on all feed pipes and threaded PVC valves with threaded connectors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.