filter sizing for a 55k filter

Jun 7, 2011
Hello,

Need some help sizing a filter for a large 55k pool. The pool has two skimmers and one side return, no main drain. All plumbing is 1.5". Currently this is feeding into a new hayward 1.5hp super pump. The current filter is an old 72 sq ft DE filter. Would like to switch to sand and was suggesting a hayward 310S to him. It seemed like the pump would not have sufficient flow for the 316. Would this be a good fit? If not, can someone make some recommendations?

Matt

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would say it is not a good fit. It's not big enough. You will get a LOT more filtration and time between backwashes with a larger filter.

My 42k pool has a sand filter with 925 lbs of sand.....the 310 has 500 lbs of sand.

Is that an uprated 1.5 HP pump or a full-rated?

My 19,000 gallon inground pool is using a sand filter with 300 pounds of sand, and I consider that a pretty good fit FOR MY POOL, not to say that bigger wouldn't be better. For your's, I would consider that 300 pound filter to be undersized. You may also want to consider a larger pump.

Welcome to tfp, rnpilot :wave:

As others have said, that is a large pool. In terms of residential filters, they stop at about 7 sq. ft. which we would say is a minimum for a 38000 pool. Above that you need to go with multiple filters or a much larger commercial filter solution.

As duraleigh said, the uprated 1.5 hp superpump may not be able to create enough flow to backwash a 7 sq. ft. filter. In addition, the restrictive plumbing (how many runs of 1.5" suction and return?) size may limit how much flow you can get even with a bigger pump...which will limit your filter size.

Thanks for the replies, I have a 22k pool and my filter is 300lbs. Was thinking 500 would be undersized but there is only 2 1.5 returns coming in to the filter. Filter that is there now is DE. It's adequate but aging and needs replacement. Was hoping to avoid going back to DE

To elaborate on above post, there are two 1.5 suction and one 1.5 return currently filtered by a 72 sq ft DE filter. Based on replies it doesn't seem like sand is a viable option? Would DE or cartridge work better in this scenario. Pool is 30+ years old and has been ok. Trying to avoid the maintenance of DE. Thanks again.

Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.