Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for advice on my AGP drainage issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for advice on my AGP drainage issue

Hey all,

I installed a 24' round AGP last fall. I opened it last weekend and we have definitely been enjoying it.

I do not have a large back yard so there weren't a lot of options for placement. My yard does have some slope to it from the house to the rear lot line. The installers had to remove 12-15 inches of soil on the side near my house. At the back of the yard there was no need for any additional soil removal as it is already the lowest point in my yard. So my dillema is, the water is now pooling on the side of the pool nearest my house. Basically I have no drainage flow around the pool. It's been damp on that side of the pool since it was put in, and even through the spring. We have had a good amount of rain over the last few days and the ground is saturated now so it's just pooling there now. Last night's storm was the straw that broke the camel's back.

So I was thinking of going with a french drain. The problem I see with that is that the back side of the pool is already the lowest point in my yard. I don't think I will be able to effectively create any sort of slope from front to back using a french drain.

When I back filled, I was told to do so just to the level of the track for the pool wall, not above. Is it okay to back fill up the pool walls a few inches to create the slope I might need for a french drain? Or if anyone has any ideas for another option that would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Looking for advice on my AGP drainage issue

You could do a french drain the with a submerged sump. That should take care of normal amounts of water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

Re: Looking for advice on my AGP drainage issue

I use cedar chips around my pool, they are relatively inexpensive and super absorbant, they need to be replenished periodically.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list