Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing almost all chlorine during the day

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing almost all chlorine during the day

I read through the Pool School several times. I followed the all the procedures there for shocking and testing, etc.
    I got in the pool with a toothbrush and scrubbed all the little nooks and crannies that the pool brush couldn't get to. After about a week, I finally got my green swamp to turn back into the lovely blue oasis that it was. Yay!!!
    I did the OCLT before I stopped shocking to make sure I had gotten everything. I'm not losing chlorine overnight, but by the middle of the day, the levels drop to 1.
    I live in Phoenix, AZ and the pool gets direct sunlight pretty much all day long. Is the sun eating up all my chlorine? Should I be adding it twice a day instead of only once in the evening? Or do I need to take it back up to shock levels again?

Last nights tests (11:30pm):
    FC 5
    CC .5
    pH 7.2
    CYA 30
    TA 110

This morning (8am):
    FC 4
    CC 0
    pH 7.2

This afternoon (2pm):
    FC 1
    CC 0
    pH 7.2

Nobody has used the pool today. I added 1/2 gallon 10% bleach to bring levels back up to 5.
    Am I missing something?
    I'm really starting to wonder how the pool guy got away with only coming once a week.
    12K gal, IG pebble, 1HP Hayward cartridge filter C4020CP, waterfall, Hayward basic automatic vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Losing almost all chlorine during the day

Elevate your CYA to 60 ppm per Pool School suggestions. Your FC loss will reduce.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Dave!
    You all have saved my sanity!
    12K gal, IG pebble, 1HP Hayward cartridge filter C4020CP, waterfall, Hayward basic automatic vac.

4. Back To Top    #4

You did the right thing. As the other have said, bring your CYA to 60. It's good that you know you should not be loosing any to something in the water because your minimum target is going to go up. It just takes more chlorine to get rid of stuff with a higher CYA. Mine sees southeast Texas sun from rise to set. Think it was in the mid 90's today so I have to keep a higher level also. Your doing good if you can get it to 1.5 - 2ppm a day.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

Today's test results:
    FC 2
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 650
    CYA 50

Pool looks good, but my husband threw the puck floater back in the pool with cal-hypo tabs in it (he didn't realize that I wasn't using them anymore) while I still have a sock filled with stabilizer/conditioner floating. I took the floater back out. The sock is still 3/4 full, but I don't think I should leave it in anymore, either. I don't want to drive the CYA too high. What do I do with the stuff still in the sock? Throw it away? Let it dry out and store it? I don't want to poison anything or create a biohazard.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are the tablets cal-hypo or trichlor? Cal-hypo does not add CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Are the tablets cal-hypo or trichlor? Cal-hypo does not add CYA.
    They were cal-hypo. For some reason that seems to be the most common here. Though I don't know why with the water being as hard as it is here.
    It makes me feel better knowing there's no CYA in those.
    I'll leave the sock in there until CYA test reads 60, then.
    If there's still stuff in the sock, what should I do with it?

8. Back To Top    #8

This is not the right process. Did you not add the weight of stabilizer required to get the desired CYA rise? It takes up to a week for it to show up on the test. If you wait for 60ppm to show on the test and then remove the "extra" stabilizer, you will have likely already overshot the target.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I thought I put the right amount in. I used the Pool Calculator, and put in 48 oz. of Stabilizer in the sock when the CYA was testing at 30.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well then, you need to wait for it all to dissolve ... that is not what you described here:

Quote Originally Posted by overwhelmedinAZ
    I'll leave the sock in there until CYA test reads 60, then.
    If there's still stuff in the sock, what should I do with it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay. My main concern was that the cal-hypo tabs would throw off my test results by adding in stuff that I hadn't accounted for.
    I think I've gotten a little paranoid about the pool since I fought with the balancing act for so long before I found this place.
    I also told hubby to keep his dirty little mitts off of the pool chemicals.
    Too many cooks and all that.....

12. Back To Top    #12

I live in az too...took great advice and invested in the 70.00 pool test kit the site endorses awaiting its arrival, from what ive read on pool school and the great guys here because we live in az with 115 direct sun its a tough balancing act to keep the fc right. Was told regular kits wont give me all the readings for the pool calculator. But so far im skating by until kit arrives but im using the bbb method with clorox at 8.5% , borax and baking soda, when guy was here for my motor he tested said i was doing good but needed acid...he added it but negleted to tell me what the name of this acid was...does anyone know if not ill wait till my kit comes from duraleigh post those numbers and then im sufe ill get whats missing from someone here. Loving the bbb though no stinging eyes like in my previous inground..which used the big tablets in the floating thing...if anyone knows what type of acid is used great i dont know if theres more then one type. But i didvlearn that those pool stores will not always tell u the others ways they want to "sell" and the bbb is less expensive and so effective. Thank god for pool school