Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on piping a heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on piping a heater

I'm piping in the water pipes for my Hayward natural gas heater. The diagrams in the installation manual show the inlet and outlet pipes coming out the side of the heater and doing a 90 degree turn downwards. But, it never actually says that it's necessary for them to point downwards. Is there any reason why I can't have them come out the side of the heater and do a 90 degree turn upwards instead? I wasn't sure if they have it going downwards to prevent water from reentering the heater after the pump was shutoff?

Thanks

18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on piping a heater

Mine comes straight out (same heater) so I don't think it matters. Also unless you have a vacuum release valve somewhere in the plumbing, when the pump shuts off water will not flow and remains in the heater at all times.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It doesn't matter if it does a loop do lou as it comes out of the heater. If you have an inline chlorinator that you put tabs in, make sure you put a check valve on the line returning to the pool. This will prevent the chlorinator from back feeding into the heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone.
    I've got a salt water system. Is a check valve needed there?
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Not as necessary on a salt system.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,