Preventing "creatures", weeds, and other problems

Jun 2, 2013
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I purchased a house in late 2011 that had an above ground pool. Come spring 2012 It was time to open it and what a disaster. The previous owner didn't add any chemicals when he closed it so it was pretty nasty to say the least. After some TLC a buddy and I were able to get the pool looking pretty awesome. Throughout the season I patched a few holes and decided the next year I would need a new liner and that is currently #1 on my todo list (liner ordered and will be installing it this week).

One major issue I had last year was the exterior of the pool. The pool has a small deck wrapping around one side of it. The other sides and the area where the pump / filter are are stones that were dropped down on top of some of that black tarp material that you use to prevent weeds. Nevertheless, weeds grow everywhere so I make sure to spray weed killer all around and it seems to do an OK job. However, different types of bugs simply love to live in this environment. I kept my pool pretty well maintained last year but still noticed the pump would some times fill with water bugs and te area around it would be covered in all types of water loving insects. I am sure it doesn't help that there are bushes from my neighbors houses along side a gate that is just a couple of feet away.

My question here is while I am opening the pool this season, is there something I could put down around the area to help prevent some of this? I was just going to pile decorative rocks pretty high but wasn't sure if there is something else recommended to put down in this area.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Doing your best to eliminate the weeds or at least keep them trimmed down will help keep the bugs at bay as will eliminating any standing water. As for bugs in the pool, proper chlorination usually does the trick. Borates (maximum 50 ppm) can also be added to the pool water to further assist in repelling insects.

You mention your neighbor's bushes and their proximity to your pool. Aside from pollinating insects, bugs are usually attracted to plants that are in stress. Perhaps this could be the source of the problem. I would at least take a closer look, especially if any part of the bushes encroach onto or over your property (e.g., they break the imaginary plane of the property line between you and your neighbor). If this turns out to be the source of the problem, I would talk with your neighbor and see if they will address the problem. If not, you are within your right (in many jurisdictions) to trim back that part(s) of the bushes that encroach onto or over your property. That kind of encroachment is termed a "nuisance" in legal-speak.

This is one pest I cannot keep from invading my pool....

9d2c3adda371d6157b02729cef2f0068_zpsea28a085.jpg

This fence barrier was my other solution for keeping the creepy crawly desert critters from getting into the pool. It has help tremendously for the most part.....

530a74afc76db7d9c516230f3210dc50_zps9a63aef6.jpg

a7ca9ae61b6bf0c1ed312daa1074d5f2_zpsa40c7a81.jpg

4c843a0bf44b39c9bef0d9e28bc1f084_zpsad9fa4f3.jpg

c1937dc619e698b6c10658eec5ca3153_zpsda23a09f.jpg

I made a rust accelerator from hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to give it the aged/rustic look. These pics were taken right after I sprayed the raw metal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.