First time pool owner

Away we go! pH is down to 7.2. Just added 1 gallon 3 cups of bleach for FC of 12. When should I test for chlorine, best time of the day and best time to add to bring it up? Or does it matter?

Okay, just checked my chlorine after a couple hours and FC was 8. Does it take a little more time for FC to get to 12 or do I go ahead and add more bleach per the pool calculator.

Also on the laminated instructions for the TF-100, step 3 for the Chlorine Drop Test says and I qoute "Next, carefully add the R-0871 solution one drop at a time, swirling as you drop. Count each drop until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added x0.5 (ie 14 drops x .05= 7ppm) Record this as Free Clorine (FC)."

Now on step 4 it says "To test for Combined Chloramines (CC), add 5 drops of R-0003 to the now clear solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC's. If it returns to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops x 0.5 again. This is your CC reading. Record it."

Are the numbers 0.5 and .05 a typo and if it is which is which?

Good morning

Yesterday I started my shock process. My FC target was 12. I checked 2 hours after I put chlorine in and the FC was 8 and CC was 2. I let it be cause I figured it would go up some more. I checked again 2 hours later and FC was 4 and CC was 1.5. I added bleach per the poolcalc. This morning I checked and FC was 8 and CC was 4. I added the appropriate amount again. Does it take some time for it to get to 12 or has it been there and gone down already? Just wondering...

And it says on here that you shouldn't backwash for a week after you put cya in. I put cya in before I started the shock process. Do I really need to wait a week to backwash?

I know you all have probably answered all these questions over and over again but I've searched and searched the posts and couldn't find answers to my questions :oops:

The chlorine starts being consumed as it enters the pool, so if FC reads below shock level you need to add more chlorine. As time goes by, the water will stop using so much chlorine and it will hold longer. You need to be aggressive and stay on top of the FC as much as you can. Testing hourly if you can is a good schedule for you right now until the chlorine starts holding longer.

Since you added the CYA with a sock, you can backwash the filter when the pressure rises to 20% over the clean pressure. If you added the CYA directly in to the skimmer without dissolving it in a sock, it would be caught in the filter and then when the filter is backwashed you would have lost the CYA because it would not have dissolved in the filter. When added straight in the skimmer it slowly dissolves in the filter.

My target FC is 12. I checked reading this afternoon and FC was 6.5. I added 2 qt 4 oz per the poolcalc. I think I poured a little over. Checked FC 2hours later and it was 16. Is that good or bad? Did I screw it up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anton said:
Just found my answer in pool school. Pool School, man. It's a beautiful thing
Sixteen posts and he's already finding his own answers!
graduate.gif

I'm sure I have a lot to learn but everybody here has been a great help. Still on the shock process tho and so far, so good.

One question...when I backwash I lose some water. Is it going to screw up the chemistry when I fill it back up to where it was? Or even rainwater....it's been raining here hard for the past few days.

anton said:
I'm sure I have a lot to learn but everybody here has been a great help. Still on the shock process tho and so far, so good.

One question...when I backwash I lose some water. Is it going to screw up the chemistry when I fill it back up to where it was? Or even rainwater....it's been raining here hard for the past few days.
You'll lose a small percentage of FC and CYA when you backwash or drain after rain. Figure on your pool each inch is about 2%; it might not even register on the tester.

I just checked water after an hour and FC was 17. I guess that isn't so bad. I just got scared as that was a really big difference in measurement. Have come to far to screw this up. Kids are raring to jump in the pool

I just noticed you list your volume as ~8200. I get 7300 using 18' diameter and 46 inches water depth (which is typical for a 52" wall agp).

Not a problem on the bleach...it will disappear quickly to the sun. What cya level are you at now? You can safely swim up to your FC shock level for your cya level.

Can I check for cya now? I thought you need to wait a week after you put it in....I put stabilizer in last Sunday.

And if the kids swim, will that hinder the shock process? Pool is still a little cloudy. Last reading at 6 pm was FC 12.5 and CC was 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.