Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long do chemicals last?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long do chemicals last?

Great site for a newbie! Converted to BBB this year and it has been a remarkable experience.

How long should I expect the chemicals to stay in the pool? By that I mean how long should I expect to go before I need to add anything? The SWG takes care of the chlorine, and salt doesn't evaporate. But what about the Calcium Chloride (CH), Baking Soda (TA), Muratic Acid (PH), CYA? Can I expect any or all of them to become depleated (or dilluted from rain) to the point of needing to add more? Thanks!

FC = 4
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 80
    CH = 300
    CYA = 60
    salt = 3200
    79 degree water
    23,000 IG plaster pool, hayward 2 speed 2.5 hp pump and 550 sq. ft. cartridge filter, SWG, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long do chemicals last?

PH tends to move around. With a SWG it usually goes up in preference to going down, so you may be adding acid regularly.

TA and CH tend to go down over the course of the season, though in some areas they go up. These movements are usually slow and fairly consistent. How much of an issue this is varies by region.

CYA and salt almost always go down over the course of the season. Generally you only need to adjust them once a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How long do chemicals last?

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to a great season!
    23,000 IG plaster pool, hayward 2 speed 2.5 hp pump and 550 sq. ft. cartridge filter, SWG, Polaris 360