Newbie with algecide OD

Jun 2, 2013
My father in law just poured 1 gallon of algecide in our approx. 35,000 gallon IG plaster pool. The recommended dose was 32 oz ( he didn't bother to read the instructions) and now we have some foaming. We tested the pool and all of the levels are fine but now Im concerned about people using it. Is 4x the dosage in a pool this size dangerous? Some posts i have read say continue to use it and the algecide level will decrease from water splashing out, some say we need to drain it(id rather not) and others say to shid appreciate any advice. I just want to make sure we do the right thing for pool and our r families health.

Came from Wal-Mart. Product name is Aqua Chem. Algaecide 50%.Ingredients: Allkyl (c-67% C, 25% C, 7% C, 1%).dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 50.0%.Other ingredients 50.0%.Total 100.0%.

Welcome to TFP!

Raise and hold your chlorine level a little and run your pump around the clock and it will take care of the algaecide.

In the future, steer clear of algaecides that don't start with the word "poly".

Welcome to tfp, pinksuede :wave:

I would stay away from algaecides entirely with two exceptions (that I can think of):
  • 1. Performing an ascorbic acid treatment (unusual)
    2. When winterizing (pool owner preference...I prefer not too)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.