Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak from cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak from cartridge filter

I have a Jacuzzi brand cartridge filter and it seems to be leaking from the bottom, not from fittings. It is 14 years old and don't know if I need a new one or this can be fixed. Any advise would be helpful. TIA.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

Water can flow around the body of the filter, and thus appear to be coming from the bottom when it isn't. The other possibility is that there is a crack down there which is leaking. Fittings are usually simpler to fix. A crack can usually be fixed but it takes a fair bit of work and doesn't always hold all that long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can see it if I start it up it will come from the bottom not by any fittings.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Can you spot a place where it is cracked or there is a hole?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll see if I can find it when I clean the filter later today. If it is cracked I should be able to get one that will fit with my size pool, pump etc., correct?

6. Back To Top    #6

I didn't see or feel any crack when I took out the cartridge.

7. Back To Top    #7
    My jacuzzi brand cartridge filter has a bolt at the bottom that holds the cartridge posts in place. This uses an O-ring to seal. If yours is the same, this o-ring could be bad.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. Would it be an o-ring if it only leaks when on? I thought it may be an o-ring because I can't find leaking anywhere else. Don't know if mine is bolted to the concrete.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Yes, leaking only when there is pressure could be an o-ring. That's probably the first thing I'd check. If your filter is very old, you might consider a full o-ring kit - I got one online for my filter for about $25 which included replacements for all 4 of the gaskets.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for your help I will get a kit also because it can't hurt.