Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above/Inground pool wall rusting

1. Back To Top    #1

Above/Inground pool wall rusting

Hi,
    I've been browsing the site for a while and it has saved me a few times. I finally have an issue I need some more help on though.

House we bought has a 24' 48" deep above ground pool. Its semi buried in a hill. The one side is about a foot above the ground, the other is not in the ground at all. When I took the cover off this winter the liner had a nice large rip in it. Ordered a new liner and started removing the old one today when i noticed a 1"x1" hole in the side of the pool. The hole is from rust. It appears someone had patched the liner previously in that area and did not do the best job so water was seeping out.

Pool guy said he would put a new piece of metal over the area and silicone it in. Wife thought of trying to get a new wall skin, but I'm not to sure how that would work.

What are my options?

Thank you so much!!!
    5K gal, Intex 15' x 48", Intex sand filter pump, 1/2 HP, model SF15110, Hayward AquaRay Flapper Disk Cleaner, BBB method, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above/Inground pool wall rusting

As long as the rust is just where the hole is I think the pool guy approach should work. I would clean up the area and apply some rustoleum to stop the corrosion. I have heard of others doing that on here. Make sure you protect the liner with plenty of duct tape over the patch.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Folks have patched pool walls with sheet metal. Some use screws others have used rivits to hold the patch in place. I don't know how well silicone would hold over time. Which ever way you do it cover the edges with duct tape so no sharp edges are exposed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

zea has a good point...when I said "I have seen others on here do that", I meant patching with piece of sheet metal not the silicone as the attachment method. I could see silicone working, but I might use rivets or maybe something like jbweld instead.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys so much! I was a little worried what I was going to do with the pool.
    5K gal, Intex 15' x 48", Intex sand filter pump, 1/2 HP, model SF15110, Hayward AquaRay Flapper Disk Cleaner, BBB method, Taylor K-2006 test kit