Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump no Bypass valve - can damage occur?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump no Bypass valve - can damage occur?

So ....silly question maybe.

If my Heat Pump has a max recommended flow rate of 55 GPM and it is NOT totally hooked up yet (no power and no bypass valve) some parts are back ordered for a few weeks I am told.

Is it OK to run my PUMP on HIGH to filter the water (flow rate of 95 GPM) - the water is simply running through the heat pump with no power, etc.

Hope this makes sense.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump no Bypass valve - can damage occur?

It seems the max flow rate should be 55 GPM. Still, I would contact the manufacturer with this question. You don't want to void your warranty....
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

In general, no you shouldn't do that. However if it is only for a couple of days it will probably be alright.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK thanks.... just can't imagine what damage could occur....I get at high flow it can't transfer heat of course.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

toofast,

The normal flow rate through the AquaCal heat pump is 30-70 gpm., 50 gpm being ideal. This is the range of proper efficiency. As you already mentioned, higher flow rates will decrease efficiency. High flow rates will not damage the heat pump on the newer units with the Thermolink Titanium Heat Exchangers. We do mention that the maximum PSI should not exceed 50 psi. though.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

sean - thank you so much