Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seriously green hair. Come on

1. Back To Top    #1

Seriously green hair. Come on

Uggggg green hair,
    New pool to me numbers are all good tf100 supported
    First long swim 3-4 hours of the season and my daughters hair has green it it
    I have never used anything but liquid bleach/shock could it be from previous owners algicied ?
    21000 gal vinyl sand filter, if I dump 2 containers of jacks magics blue stuff 64 oz that should take care of it? Do I need to back wash run filter 24/7 or anything outa the norm? Had pool store test 4 metals none came back they didn't even try to sell me anything told me all numbers were good . I was ready 4 the sales pick but non given
    21000 vinyl IG
    TF100
    Jacuzzi sand filter
    Aquabot AWD
    Jandy aquapureIE SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seriously green hair. Come on

Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo. Look for it at Walmart.

Is there a Nature 2, Pool Frog, Aqua Smarte or something like that in the filtration system? Copper causes green hair and is introduced to the pool via those systems and/or the use of copper based algaecide.

Sequesterants only keep metals "in solution" and keep them from staining your pool - it doesn't really remove metals and the use is ongoing as the sequesterants break down over time and you need to add more.

The only way to lower copper levels is water replacement. Green hair after 3-4 hours is copper in the water regardless of what their test says.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

FPM beat me but here are my comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Pdouble
    I have never used anything but liquid bleach/shock could it be from previous owners algicied ?
    Possibly, other sources I can think of could be "mineral systems", or some combination of copper piping and/or an old copper heater and low ph at some point.

I think the Jack's magic blue stuff may help, but you will have to continue to do maintenance doses on a regular basis since it likely will not remove it from you pool.

You may want to get another pool store to test for copper, now that you know you have it. This is a case where you may just want to do a partial drain/refill to reduce it, but you need to know the level to know how much to reduce it. You could also buy copper test kit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

No copper pipe no heater nothing but BBB from me
    Now the previous owner I don't know what he did other than a
    Container of tabs left in the garage . If I do jacks blue I will
    have to keep using it all season?
    21000 vinyl IG
    TF100
    Jacuzzi sand filter
    Aquabot AWD
    Jandy aquapureIE SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, sequestrant breaks down slowly and needs to be replenished regularly. Your own other choices are green hair all the time or replacing water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Would I have to drain and refill multiple times due to the fact that you can't drain to less than 2ft in sallow end? My low end is only 3 ft deep 8ft long then slopes 14ft to 8ft deep 8 ft long end
    21000 vinyl IG
    TF100
    Jacuzzi sand filter
    Aquabot AWD
    Jandy aquapureIE SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pdouble
    Would I have to drain and refill multiple times due to the fact that you can't drain to less than 2ft in sallow end? My low end is only 3 ft deep 8ft long then slopes 14ft to 8ft deep 8 ft long end
    Most likely.