SWG salt measurement vastly different from salt test

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
My Hayward aquatrol rj shows a salt measurement of 2900 but when I test using salt test strips that shows a reading of 4020. I was expecting to see some differences between the two but not such a large number. Anyone have any thoughts of why such a large difference and which I should trust? I have had to back flush a lot over the last several weeks so I am inclined to think the SWG is more correct.

In almost all cases the SWG is more reliable than the test strips. The salt test strips are normally quite good, but now and then they are wildly wrong.

The only time the SWG reading tends to be seriously wrong is when the cell is nearing the end of it's lifetime, at which point it will slowly begin to read lower and lower compared to the actual reading. So it the SWG reading gets lower and lower, and the cell is already several years old, there could be a problem. Otherwise, leave things alone for now.

Thanks Jason, That's what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. The SWG is only a year old so I was thinking that it should be more accurate. I question the point of even using the test strips with that much difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.