Long story short, Ive been trying to shock my 40K gallon green pool that has not been closed with a looploc cover for at least 2 years. I bought the house last summer.
Anyway, I figured Id shock with some diclor since the CYA tested 0, and some 12.5% liquid shock (details are below). But first I used a bunch of PH decreaser and some muriatic acid and ended up taking the ph down too far (to 6.5). I started anyway after this because I was tired of running out to get stuff.
Im still getting a CYA of 0 and I dont understand that. Ive dumped a total of 8 lbs of diclor in so far and I thought that would have an effect?
Right now Im wondering what my target FC should be and if I should be using diclor or liquid bleach?
Any advice would be very helpful!
Heres my timeline:
1:12pm Put too much acid in and took the ph from 9.7 to 6.5 (TA at 50)
1:55pm add 13.5 lbs baking soda
2:38pm test CYA and it is 0
2:46pm test TA again and it is still 50
2:50pm add 13.5 lbs baking soda
2:55pm retest ph and it is still 6.5
4:49pm Add 4lbs dichlor and 1 gal 12.5%
5:59pm Test CYA still 0, fast test for FC 0
7:00pm Add 2lbs diclor and 1 gal 12.5% - fast test FC=0
7:20pm Add 2 gals 12.5%
8:00pm fast test FC=0
8:20pm add 2 gals 12.5%
9:00pm add 2 gals 12.5%
9:47pm DPD FC=9 and CC=4
9:50pm Add 2 gals 12.5%
10:34pm DPD FC=22 CC=5
11:51pm DPD FC=19 CC=4
2:00am DPD FC=11 CC=4
2:30am add 1 gal 12.5%
7:34am DPD FC=8 CC=4
Pool is now a green/gray color and very cloudy
10:27am DPD FC=4, test CYA and it is still 0
10:45am add 2lbc diclor and blue clarifier stuff
11:53am DPD FC=8 (cloudy sky)
12:11pm Test CYA and it is still 0