Edited for line breaks. Please include line breaks/paragraphs in your postings. Easier on our eyes! Thanks, Butterfly
I am opening my pool on my own this year for the first time and having trouble.
The pool is 20x40 about 36,000 gallons.
I had a dark green swamp at opening but very little debris such as leaves because pool was closed correctly.
The algae also left dark algae stains at water line.
1st day I opened with 4lbs. alkalinity 10 pounds of powdered shock added 1 32oz bottle algaecide and brushed walls.
2nd day I could see the shallow end barely. I tested water and noticed everything was at ideal levels except the free chlorine was eaten away or didn't hold and it wasn't showing any chlorine.The ph was slightly low 6.8. I added another 5 pounds shock and another bottle algaecide and added 4 lbs ph increaser and put 3 chlorine tabs in each skimmer.
I vacuumed shallow end to waste which looked like algae clouds and some dead algae. I also and brushed walls again. At this point the filter needed to be backwashed every few hours because it seemed like it was getting clogged. I think the algaecide may have actually put more of a strain on the filter?
I tested water on the 3rd day and now the free chlorine was at highest reading possible(dark purple on the strip) and has remained there since. I could see shallow end pretty clear (green tint) just dead algae which I vacuumed to waste still could not see deep end. I Tested the water again ph increaser had no effect still slightly low.
I tested water on the 4th day still same readings everything was ideal levels ph was still slighlty low 6.8 and free chlorine maxed out but I still couldnt see bottom deep end maybe slight improvement in water clarity so I added another 5 pounds shock(up to 20lbs now ).At this point I didn't want to add any more ph increaser because from reading here and other forums when shocking the reading could be inaccurate and shock could drive it to a lower reading?
i also didn't want to get ph high because I read if to high you have to drain the pool and renders shock ineffective? I also felt maybe I should give the filter a chance to do its thing since I had added a lot of shock and chemicals to the pool.
The next couple of days water testing was the same free chlorine maxed out and the ph was slightly low 6.8. All I did over the next couple of days was backwash , vacuume to waste and brush. The water clarity did improve a little each day and I need to back wash the filter less frequently.
Its been about a week and a half since I started. the shallow end is completely clear.The deep end seems clear on the edges with a little green in the center but I can see everything on the bottom.
Yesterday I added another 5 pounds shock to get rid of the last little bit of green in deep end but it didn't seem to have any effect. There is no debris at all in the pool maybe a little dead algae here an there but not much I have vacuumed everything out. because this last bit didn't work im thinking the last bit of green maybe something else. I do have a lot of trees and this time of year brings a lot of pollen. Does the shock work on this to or is the filter the only thing that gets it out?
I also have well water with a lot of metal in the water ,with all the all the backwashing and vacuuming to waste I have probably added a foot and a half of new water would this make the water green tinted?
Should I not have added chlorine tabs and just added shock making me think I had added enough shock because my chlorine level is still maxed out. should I let the chlorine levels drop to ideal before trying to adjust ph?
should I just let the filter do its job since its been getting better without adding anything and let chlorine level come down to ideal?
After reading here "turning swamp in to sparkling oasis' and other forums it seems I may have done things out of order. It seems I should have adjusted ph first. Some places say add algaecide at the end and some say add in the beginning and I added while shocking.
Any thoughts why this last shocking didn't work and what I may have done wrong that I still have this green tint in the center of the deep end its been a week and a half now.