How to connect two intex pumps to use at the same time?

Apr 18, 2011
Hi,
I have a 12x36 intex frame pool. For the first year, I used the pump that came with the pool. Not sure exactly but I believe it was less than 1000 gal/hr. Not as good as I wanted but I tested and adjusted my water daily and never had water issues. After that a friend who had a bigger intex and got a new pool gave me their pump. It is either 1000 or 1500 gal/hr. Same hose fittings so I know it was not a lot bigger than my first one. It did a better job but I still would like even better.

My goal is to upgrade the pump to either a much larger cartridge filter or possibly an intex sand filter, but it is not in the budget right now though I am closely monitoring Craigslist for a used one.

I remember a few people on here hooking two intex pumps together to run at the same time. Is this a good idea? If so, what would I need to connect them? Completely hardware-and-diy-challenged here so if anyone knows links to pics or anything that would be great, though any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

Laura

I recommend just using the larger pump alone. You don't really want to use two pumps at the same time unless they are identical, and even then the extra work of having two pumps to keep working tends to make it not worth the effort.

When i had Intex cartridge style filter, i had some luck rubberbanding a knee higgh nylon and/or cotton sock over the return jet inside the pool. It caught some stuff that passed through the filter.

Not a good idea to run two pumps in series. Creates more problems than it solves.

Since you do use craigslist, post a wanted add for the type of pump you are looking for. At least it worked for me.....

I'd bet the pump that came with your pool was a 580GPH. Common to the smaller pools. The 1000GPH is a definite step in the right direction.

Drape the hoses for the second filter over the side. Set them to make a whirlpool if you can, this will help bring the dirt to the center of the pool, making it easier to clean up. I wouldn't waste time or energy trying to tie them together. You'll have better results and more versatility keeping them separated.

I have been using the small 580gph and the 1000 gph on the 15x48"

On the thru the wall skimmer i have been using the 1000 gph,and the 580gph on the pool inlet and outlet.
The return of the 1000gph i turned in too a fountain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.