as the temperature rises, I have been chasing my chlorine level the last month. Every time I think I am using enough, I get down to 1-2 ppm and need to bump up the bleach input. Yesterday I overcompensated a bit and got to 7 ppm (I seem to be burning 2 ppm/day so it won't last long). This high level caused my pH to go up from 7.8 to 8.0. Should I correct it with muriatic acid, or just let the pH level fall naturally with the chlorine level?
My local newspaper had an article about alternative sanitizing systems. One they mentioned was UV rays, which sounds like it reduced the required chlorine level to kill pathogens. Does this really work?
Another thing they mentioned was "crab shells" (SeaKlear Mighty Pods) for water clarity. Does this product work? My water is cloudy (still getting filtration and chemicals dialed in; first year pool-owner). I plan to try borates later in the year once I get the basic chemistry under control.