Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finished vacuuming, now pump is stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Finished vacuuming, now pump is stuck

Hi all,

Not sure what to do. I just finished vacuuming this morning. There was a lot of sand and dirt on the bottom (patio isn't done yet). I went to backwash and rinse, but when I flipped the pump off, changed the valve setting, and turned the pump back on, it just hummed/buzzed and doesn't turn. I suspect sand has bound it up. It was turning fine when I finished vacuuming.

Any suggestions on how to flush it out? It's a 1.5 HP "Premium Blue by Waterway".

Thanks!
    24-ft round Radiant AG, fully in the ground, 14,500 gal
    Sand filter, 1.5 HP pump, vinyl liner
    9 months of winter, 3 months of tough skating!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finished vacuuming, now pump is stuck

It could have a weak start cap. Turn power off on the pump look on the bavk of your pump motor. You should see a flathead screw driver slot. If not remove the screw holding the cover on. Now get a flathead screw driver and turn pump on and turn the shaft with the screw driver. If it takes off then you have a weak start cap.

3. Back To Top    #3

Another question. Did you remove the pump basket out to clean it out?. If so you may have lost the prime on the pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by azazel
    Another question. Did you remove the pump basket out to clean it out?. If so you may have lost the prime on the pump.
    I did, but I bled the air out of the basket, so it's not a priming issue. The pump is not turning, so I'll try your other suggestion. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you cant turn it or if it starts and stops again. Your motor is shot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Gave it about 1.5 turns with the screwdriver to loosen whatever was in there. Then if fired right up, multiple times. Thanks for the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

More then likely you have weak start cap. Its the round thing with the 2 wires going to it on the back of the pump. Has numbers on the side of it. Can buy one at pool store usually around 8 to 10 dollars. Try turning the power off on the pump again. If it starts on its own then your good. If it doesnt then replace the cap