Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy - Not Clearing Up

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy - Not Clearing Up

Hi,

My pool open for 9 days. Was green and followed recommended steps and in a few days went from green to cloudy blue. The issue is it has been cloudy for a week and hasn't cleared up. It has improve a little but a week of this and I still can't see my drain in the deep end. Am I impatient ? My readings are:
    FC 20
    CYA 50
    CC 0
    TA 60
    PH 7.4
    18X40, 27K gal, vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward, Hayward Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy - Not Clearing Up

Very likely what you are seeing is the remnants of dead algae. It will take a while to filter this out. One thing you can try to speed things up is to add DE to your sand filer: Add DE to a Sand Filter. Pay close attention to your filter's pressure and backwash as needed.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You should see SOME improvement daily at this point. Your test results look good.

I think it is now a matter of filtration. Is your pump running 24/7? are you backwashing after a 25% increase in psi? Are you brushing the floors and walls? Are you vacuuming?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,

Yes I have been running filter 24/7, backwashing, brushing and vacuuming. I have seen slight improvements over the week. Just give it more time I guess.
    18X40, 27K gal, vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward, Hayward Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Stick with it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Took mine 3 full weeks to clear up. Guess it just takes sand filter longer.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool went from green to blue and stayed cloudy for several days. My overnight loss was less then 1 for several days. I used a whole bottle of clarifier from walmart HTH cheap kind and in a day and a half crystal clear. Not sure if it was just ready to clear up or the clarifier helped. Guys on here said it would not hurt so I tried it. FYI
    17100K AG v. liner Pentair Tropicana 2HP pump Cartridge

8. Back To Top    #8

I had this happen, and found skimmer socks to be a cheap and easy way to augment filtration. Just make sure to change them often

9. Back To Top    #9

Having this same problem. This is the first year we didn't keep the pool clean year round (in FL) because we *thought* we would be moving. Deal fell through, we are staying so we are trying to get the pool cleared up. We usually use the BBB method of maintaining our pool. This year, the pool is green like it was when we bought the house. Followed the steps to get the algae gone...and we have been at cloudy for two full weeks with just minimal improvement. We have a Hayward cartridge filter, running 24/7, pool filter cleaned often, vacuumed every 1-2 days, sides and bottom brushed down 1-2x a day. Thankfully, we live by the beach so have been cooling off there but sure hope this pool clears up soon!
    Sharon

IG plaster pool~10-12k gallons...unsure as we are not the original owners of the house and don't have pool specs
    Hayward Filter 12002 (cartridge) ~~ Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5 HP pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Skimmer socks and not backwashing unless pressure gauge rose helped me as well. Patience is the best medicine. It'll clear.
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.