Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

White flakes in pool

My in-laws pool is finally almost completely clear and everything is balanced except for their CYA (it's only at 50). They have a new problem though. They said that there are white flakes in the bottom of the pool. They have a vinyl liner. Any idea as to what the white flakes are and how to get rid of them?
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White flakes in pool

Do you have a SWG? I'm thinking yes since your post is in the SWG forum. If so, it is most likely calcium flakes coming out of a SWG. They mean that your water balance is off just a little. Can you post a complete set of test results so we can give you more specific advice?

Also, If in fact you do have a SWG, I would suggest adding that to your signature to make it easier for readers to see that you have a SWG.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm posting for my in-laws. I don't have their exact numbers, but when they called me with them, I came here and made sure they were within range and everything was within normal range except the CYA and alkalinity. They added muriatic acid to lower the alkalinity and I had them add some stabilizer.

Yes, they DO have a SWG.
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

From pool school ,I would suggest no more muriatic acid (For lowering PH use either muriatic acid (preferred) or dry acid. To raise PH use soda ash) I hope you meant alkalinity.
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

To make it clear I hope you are trying to lower PH. Best of luck with it
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Also please check to make sure the chlorination system is set up to run ONLY with the the pump on.

Some SWC do not have flow sensors, like Compupool, so they can run while the pump if off if not installed via a timer or in synch with the pump.

Saw this a couple of years ago at a pool and the end result was white flakes and very bad plaster as a result.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Ive had this problem when the water balance is perfect. The swcg was not the modern self cleaning type and id been a little lazy in cleaning the plates of calcium. Once i cleaned the plates there were no more flakes.

very apt that smiley, i should have cleaned the plates sooner.