Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new 2hp pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new 2hp pump

Currently have Pentair single speed that's 7 yrs old and needs to be replaced. Recommend same WFE 28 or is there a better option for pool/spa IG pool?
    35k IG Gunite, DE 60 SqFt filter, single speed pentair whisperflo WFE 28 2 hp 1.1 sf pump, 7 yr old pool with attach spa, Polaris 380 cleaner w/ booster pump, Jackson, New Jersey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need new 2hp pump

If you are happy with the feel of the spa jets with your current pump, I recommend switching to a WFDS-28 dual speed. You can use high speed for the spa, with the same jet activity you have now, and low speed for pool circulation and filtering for a substantial savings in electrical costs.

Of, if your cost for electricity is $0.20 or higher, you might want to look at getting an IntelliFlo.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Probably will stick w same pump. Pool supply world has it and just need to know if I need to order anything to install. Union connectors, check valve, schedule 80 PVC or is it avail at local pool supply str or Home Depot?
    35k IG Gunite, DE 60 SqFt filter, single speed pentair whisperflo WFE 28 2 hp 1.1 sf pump, 7 yr old pool with attach spa, Polaris 380 cleaner w/ booster pump, Jackson, New Jersey

4. Back To Top    #4

What is wrong with the pump? You know you could just replace the motor right?

2 speed would likely pay for itself pretty quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump started making noise so was going to just replace bearings. Started disassembly and bolts corroded and one of 4 long bolts snapped. Could not get front screw off impeller looks like started to disintegrate, and thickest Phillips head would not grip. Shifted all my Saturday morning plans and have spent my wknd learning more than I need to on pumps. Info overload. Was happy to find FTP and can't wait to start bbb. I have spent thousands of dollars at two pool shops and I'm just guessing the stuff they kept having me dump in my pool had something to do with eating away at my equip. Whatever they recommended was always to get to point of recommending the next thing they could sell. Just purchased TF100. About ready to order new pump do i need schedule 80 pvc or other install parts to diy? there's a check valve between the pump n filter now. Thx. Ed

6. Back To Top    #6

You should be able to get all the fittings you need at the hardware store. Don't think schedule 80 is really needed. Although I liked using the union fittings specific to my pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you able to use same pool pump for spa or do you need to have a 2nd pump?

Thx
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonViews
    Are you able to use same pool pump for spa or do you need to have a 2nd pump?

Thx
    Is this a question trying to help Edcialk or are you looking for information for yourself? There is nothing in this thread that suggests that this is a 2nd pump
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I am always looking to help others and also learn at same time. I am not an expert by any means in pool industry just trying to learn myself, although I was quoted a 2nd pump for a spa and was curious as to know if it it is common for 1 pump to handle both for a smaller size pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool/spa combos can be plumbed in many ways. My previous house had a single large pump sized to run the spa. I have since learned how inefficient it is to force all that water flow through the filter for the spa and how much electricity was wasted when I did not need the high flow rate.

"Best" setup is likely a small 2-speed pump used for circulation, heating, filtration and a second pump on a dedicated plumbing run to the spa to only run the jets when needed. But, if that separate plumbing run was not installed, then this setup is clearly not easy to switch to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thx sounds like the proper way to go.

12. Back To Top    #12

2nd pump-That's good to know. I have a inline chlorinator that I currently use and after a period of time in spa, chlorine would be noticeable/unpleasant. Makes sense to use a smaller pump for circulation...will keep in mind for my next pool project. I have a Polaris 380 that has a small booster pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

So you are using pucks for your chlorine source? Any idea of your stabilizer level since that will build up with the use of trichlor?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Placed the order for my new pump. No one local had one in stock and my noisy whisperflo doesn't sound like it will last much longer. Watched a couple install videos some use grey and some use blue PVC cement. Upside for gray is drying time but any downside? Recommendation for NJ climate?

15. Back To Top    #15

As long as you use primer and PVC cement (or possibly multi-purpose if you are using any CPVC), any should be fine. I have never seen grey ... usually clear or blue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok. Brings up another question with inline chlorinator, still need using BBB?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Edcialk
    Ok. Brings up another question with inline chlorinator, still need using BBB?
    Absolutely not. Although you can keep it plumbed in to use the pucks if your CYA is acceptable while you go on vacation or something.

When you are home, most of us are adding liquid chlorine on a near daily basis.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Typically how much chlorine do you use and is there a brand you like &/or cheapest place to get it?

19. Back To Top    #19

Household bleach lik Clorox?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Edcialk
    Pump started making noise so was going to just replace bearings. Started disassembly and bolts corroded and one of 4 long bolts snapped. Could not get front screw off impeller looks like started to disintegrate, and thickest Phillips head would not grip. Shifted all my Saturday morning plans and have spent my wknd learning more than I need to on pumps. Info overload. Was happy to find FTP and can't wait to start bbb. I have spent thousands of dollars at two pool shops and I'm just guessing the stuff they kept having me dump in my pool had something to do with eating away at my equip. Whatever they recommended was always to get to point of recommending the next thing they could sell. Just purchased TF100. About ready to order new pump do i need schedule 80 pvc or other install parts to diy? there's a check valve between the pump n filter now. Thx. Ed
    Probably not worth salvaging in case, but for the broken long bolts, most people just buy threaded rod, a couple of nuts, and cut the rod to needed length for re-assembling the motor. I do bearing replacements for my motors and always seem to break one of the long through bolts taking the motor apart. It seems like most people don't have the time to tinker these days and most folks just go buy a new motor or a pump and motor assembly. The newer 2 speed units will save you a couple of bucks a month on electric.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast