Doing the TA/Ph dance, and why do I have CCs?

May 16, 2013
Hey everybody.

First off, here are my last set of numbers, taken with a TF-100 kit, just about 30 minutes ago:

TA 210
CA 160
CYA 58
Ph 7
FC 8
CC .5

I want it verify my thoughts with the board regarding how to bring down the TA and keep the PH here it should be. Because the two are linked to each other, do I bring down the TA with muratic acid, knowing that the PH will then also go down, and then raise the PH through aeration? I did find someone yesterday on the board that posted a link to a spa jet attachment that goes on place of the eyeball, and I got one ordered. Would this be the right approach compared to this dance I have been playing using the pool calculator by first lowering with Muratic acid, only to raise the next day with baking soda?

Secondly, the water is crystal clear right now. My pump has been running non stop since back washing my DE filter 3 days ago, and there has been zero pressure increase. I got my new aquabot turbo T two days ago that ran a 4 hour shift yesterday. Why do I still have the presence of CC? For the past several days, the number has been between .25 and .5, and I'm still new to this "pool thingy" that I don't understand what could be causing the presence of CC.
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

1. There is an article in Pool School that describes how to lower TA without affecting pH.

If you will re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, you can learn how to adjust those two parameters up or down and independent of each other.

2. Treat .5 CC's as if it were zero....always..... .5 CC's is perfectly normal.

That tapdance / merry-go-round / see-saw sounds like the pool store solution. Aerate the pool, pH will rise. It doesn't have to be some nifty shower head PVC creation - just having kids splashing around is aeration. When pH gets to 7.8, lower it with acid and wait for it to climb again.

TA is not a health hazard - my tap water is higher than your pool's and I've been drinking and bathing in the stuff with no ill effects for years.

Stop focusing on those "ideals" on the pool calculator. They're a nice target if you're low on something, and need to know what to add. but not everything carries the same urgency, and TA is a pretty low priority in your case. Keep rereading and testing/dosing and soon it will start to gel and you'll understand the relationships.

CC of .5 or less just means the chlorine is killing stuff that has blown in the pool or is stuck in the filter or strainer. I only show zero CC about 25% of the time.

Thanks everyone. As part of my "A" personality, I try to strive for exactness, and heaven help me when it comes to being given a set of data points. :hammer:

I do appreciate all the feedback, and will learn how to relax a bit with some of the data.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.