Air problem

kkpjm

May 23, 2011
Quakertown PA
OK, I know that air in the basket is s sign of a suction side leak...it's pretty significant this year, just opened yesterday. Lots of bubbles. One thing I noticed is that when I shut the pump down, water spurts from the basket lid (o-ring joint)...would it make sense that the point where air is getting in, would show up this way when the pump is shut off? On that note, you would think that you'd be able to see the air coming past the O-ring during operation, wouldn't you? You can see the o-ring thru the clear top, I would think you'd see the air getting by...

Also, there are two drain plugs on the pump...one at the basket and one at the motor...could air be pulled in from both of them? The one at the back (motor end) is very hard to get at and it's a plastic plug. After 5 years of ham-fisted pool guys closing my pool, it's pretty chewed up to the point where I can't put a wrench on it.

Last thing. I have a Crystal Water DE filter...and the gauge stopped working last year. Pool guy says to just ignore it and judge the output pressure by "feel" of the water coming out of the returns. Sounds a little old-school to me. A new gauge can't be that expensive...

Suggesting that you ignore a broken gauge is a sign of complete pool ignorance. Someone working on pools everyday can "feel" the difference....a homeowner NEEDS a gauge....that's why they make them.

I would not go to that pool store again and I would get a new gauge today.

Suction side leaks are hard to find. if both of those drain plugs are before the impeller, they can leak. Pour some water over the O-ring while the pump is running and see if the bubbles stop.

Took the o-ring out and looked closely...darn it, it looked like the fan belt on my 67 chevy...all cracked and deteriorated. I had never taken the time to look at it that closely, 'cuz I never had a problem. anyhoo, a quick run to the store for a new gasket and fresh tub of o-ring lube...took care of that problem. Second thing was one of the plastic drain plugs was actually cracked...note to self: find better quality plugs. Just a small bubble in the lid now..we are good to go. :party:

As far as chemicals go...has anyone ever put CYA into one of those floating chlorine dispensers instead of the sock-in-front-of-the-skimmer method?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.