Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Air problem

OK, I know that air in the basket is s sign of a suction side leak...it's pretty significant this year, just opened yesterday. Lots of bubbles. One thing I noticed is that when I shut the pump down, water spurts from the basket lid (o-ring joint)...would it make sense that the point where air is getting in, would show up this way when the pump is shut off? On that note, you would think that you'd be able to see the air coming past the O-ring during operation, wouldn't you? You can see the o-ring thru the clear top, I would think you'd see the air getting by...

Also, there are two drain plugs on the pump...one at the basket and one at the motor...could air be pulled in from both of them? The one at the back (motor end) is very hard to get at and it's a plastic plug. After 5 years of ham-fisted pool guys closing my pool, it's pretty chewed up to the point where I can't put a wrench on it.

Last thing. I have a Crystal Water DE filter...and the gauge stopped working last year. Pool guy says to just ignore it and judge the output pressure by "feel" of the water coming out of the returns. Sounds a little old-school to me. A new gauge can't be that expensive...
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air problem

Suggesting that you ignore a broken gauge is a sign of complete pool ignorance. Someone working on pools everyday can "feel" the difference....a homeowner NEEDS a gauge....that's why they make them.

I would not go to that pool store again and I would get a new gauge today.

Suction side leaks are hard to find. if both of those drain plugs are before the impeller, they can leak. Pour some water over the O-ring while the pump is running and see if the bubbles stop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you lubricate the o-ring with a silicone lubricant? 1/4 inch NPT pipe stem 60 psi gauges start out at $5 on ebay and good oil filled ones start around $10.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Took the o-ring out and looked closely...darn it, it looked like the fan belt on my 67 chevy...all cracked and deteriorated. I had never taken the time to look at it that closely, 'cuz I never had a problem. anyhoo, a quick run to the store for a new gasket and fresh tub of o-ring lube...took care of that problem. Second thing was one of the plastic drain plugs was actually cracked...note to self: find better quality plugs. Just a small bubble in the lid now..we are good to go.

As far as chemicals go...has anyone ever put CYA into one of those floating chlorine dispensers instead of the sock-in-front-of-the-skimmer method?
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG