Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolcrete why?

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolcrete why?

I have always been curious why poolcrete or vermiculite is used for pool hopper walls/floors.Why not concrete?cost? Ease of installation?Ground movement?
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolcrete why?

Something about it being smoother and also it resists cracking from ground water and freezing. I don't know the full story. Maybe because it has fewer air pockets that is how it resists? Standard concrete is very porous.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Poolcrete needs less labor to install, it's lighter and easier to work with and still strong enough. I imagine that is the deciding factor for most builders.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought labor may be the deciding factor.Previously when I asked the question(other pool builders) I would get answers like concrete isn't strong enough(didn't make any sense) or concrete is to rigid.
    Rob

SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates

5. Back To Top    #5

When concrete slabs are poured what happens? They cut lines in them so when they crack, it gives them a crack point and keeps cracks down. Not IF they crack, but when. So your pool bottom, if done in concrete, would need lines cut in it which would not look good under a liner. In addition, vermiculite is porous which allows water to pass through. If you had a ground water problem, and you used concrete, I suspect it would just start cracking the pool floor to pieces.

As for poolcrete versus vermiculite, since poolcrete is basically portland/vermiculite already mixed, it is simply a labor issue. Rather than lugging 90lb bags of portland and mixing with vermiculite, you simply dump a bag of poolcrete in and mix away.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

What is Gunite (other than the method of applying concrete)Why no control joints?Gunite is very versatile,great for repairing and forming any number of things.I don't ever remember seeing a control joint when gunite is used. I'm not putting in a pool floor,(yet)i'm just curious about why poolcrete is used.(some good info so far)I have been kicking the idea of building an inground pool in a couple of years ,so this info may come in handy one day.I like to know why things are the way they are.Yes,I was that kid who took apart his toys just to see how they worked. :P
    Rob

SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates