Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For those with heat pumps for their pools....

1. Back To Top    #1

For those with heat pumps for their pools....

I will have a heat pump for the pool installed with the new build. When exactly do you run your heater? When do you cut the heat off? I don't know if our unit will be programmable or controlled with an iPad app, or something...
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For those with heat pumps for their pools....

We set the temperature and leave it. But, if I know that no one will be in the pool for a day or two I turn it off. Sometimes, I just turn down the temperature to a lower number. But, for the most part it just comes on when the filter comes on and goes off when the timer shuts the filter off. It takes a little while to heat the pool but not as long as I had thought it would. We really like ours and found it did a good job for us. We are in New Jersey.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

3. Back To Top    #3

What about shutting the heat pump off at night. Sure it takes more run time the next morning to bring he pool up to speed, but with cooler temps at night the heat pump is working harder. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'll try both methods once we get ours installed and report back.

{EDIT} Now that I think about it, I don't want to run my pump 24/7 so I'm not really interested in leaving the heat pump "ON" all night. I may not try that experiment.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Heat pumps are significantly more efficient at higher air temperatures. That is a strong motivation to run them during the day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So to follow this thread and forum. From what I've read, you really don't need to run your pumps 12 hours a day to get sparkly water, basically whatever it takes.

HOWEVER, with a heat pump in order to optimize, it sounds like I should run my pumps in the HEAT of the day, say 11 AM - 7 PM or something like that...and then I assume LOW SPEED (if we have 2 speed pumps) will work just fine.

Then I assume I should run for about 60 minutes when I inject chemicals (which I plan to do after sunset) each night.

Is this logical thinking ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, that sounds reasonable. Depending on your situation you might well be able to shorten the runtime on the pump. Also, there is a very small chance the heat pump won't be happy with low speed, but if so it will be obvious (it won't run).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok thanks...and that dang HP better run on low, that is the WHOLE reason I bought the 2 speed pump to save some $$...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Did a bit of research, seems my PB is on it.

My ideal range of GPM on HP is 30-55 GPM
    My pump on LOW flows at 55 GPM

So I have to assume I have a bit of loss between the filter and HP, so I gotta believe I am in that range.

HOWEVER if someone smarter knows how to really calc this, I would be interesting in providing more info.

9. Back To Top    #9

There is no easy way to get an accurate flow rate without a flow rate meter. Given the estimate is at the high end of the range and the heater isn't complaining, I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok follow up question - is there any logic in the thinking that at low speed more heat will be transferred to the water or at least the same amount. Meaning do I really need to run on HIGH SPEED all day to heat effectively or can I run on LOW SPEED and expect similar results. OH and by the way, my HP does run on both low and high speeds...although I still think it needs some adjusting as once in a while on low I get a LOW FLOW warning.