Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Requesting guidance in starting out with BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Requesting guidance in starting out with BBB

We've had our pool now for 1 1/2 years (two swim seasons). The first season we used Easy-Pool by suggestion of the pool store that helped us get the pool running when we purchased our home. The second season, last year, we did it on our own with the "help" of the pool store here in town using “regular” chemicals and the store’s water analysis. The people there were nice, but the result was a pool that we used very little the whole season and spent a bunch of money doing so.

A little research led us here to TFPool, and last weekend we purchased the TF-100 test kit which arrived a day ago. Tonight was the first time we had a chance to go through the kit completely and get a full set of test results.

We're hoping to get the pool water clear by next weekend.

Our test results are:
    FC – 0.5
    CC – 2
    TC – 2.5
    pH – 7.8
    TA - 60
    CH - 650
    CYA - >20 (tube was clear when full)

Pool water is a cloudy white color with a hint of green. It is not clear, but you can “sort of” see to the bottom in the shallow end (2 ˝ ft), and not see the bottom in the deep end (8 ft). Water has been this condition since a week ago when we pulled back the cover and vacuumed the bottom after the winter (we had leaves in it from when we put the cover on in the fall). Before we vacuumed the pool you could see to the bottom in the deep end (8 ft). After vacuuming, we added 1 gallon of 6% bleach, just guessing it needed it based on the reading from our simple CL/PH test kit. Then we put the cover back on after vacuuming.

We took the winter cover off the pool 1 day ago. Added 1/2 Gallon of Bleach (6%) last evening to be safe (or thinking it was a good idea).

Question: what is our next step to get our pool as clear/clean as possible for next weekend, that’s our goal.

Thanks in advance,
    John G.
    17,000 gallons, Sta-Rite(R) System:3 cartridge - 300 SQ FT, IG, plaster, 1 1/2 HP - 100 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Requesting guidance in starting out with BBB

Add about another 20 to the CYA and start The Shock Process. And take pictures along the way. We love green-to-clean stories with pictures.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said,

Welcome, the best advice I can give now is to go read pool school (link in the upper right), most people get a lot more out of it the second or third time through.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, John,

Welcome to the forum.

I would start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. If you feel you have a good understanding of the chemistry, then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

You must shock the pool properly to get it clear and you need to get on it immediately if you want it done by next week. Doable but you don't have a lot of time to waste....it's a process that will take some effort, not a one-time dose of chemicals.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You got good advice from three of the best above. I'd only add this: take some time to read the "Defeating Algae" threads. Each process has its nuances, but for the most part they are all very similar. Learn from the experiences of others.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for your replies.

I do have a sort of general question.

Per the Pool Calculator, I figure I need to add the following:

123 oz of Bleach (for FC)
    11 oz of Muratic acid (for PH)
    45 oz of dry CYA (for CYA)
    160 oz of Baking soda (for TA)

My question: do I want to add all of these at the same time, especially considering that I want to be in the Sock Process ASAP?

Thanks,
    John G.
    17,000 gallons, Sta-Rite(R) System:3 cartridge - 300 SQ FT, IG, plaster, 1 1/2 HP - 100 GPM