Requesting guidance in starting out with BBB

Jun 1, 2013
Kernersville, NC
We've had our pool now for 1 1/2 years (two swim seasons). The first season we used Easy-Pool by suggestion of the pool store that helped us get the pool running when we purchased our home. The second season, last year, we did it on our own with the "help" of the pool store here in town using “regular” chemicals and the store’s water analysis. The people there were nice, but the result was a pool that we used very little the whole season and spent a bunch of money doing so.

A little research led us here to TFPool, and last weekend we purchased the TF-100 test kit which arrived a day ago. Tonight was the first time we had a chance to go through the kit completely and get a full set of test results.

We're hoping to get the pool water clear by next weekend.

Our test results are:
FC – 0.5
CC – 2
TC – 2.5
pH – 7.8
TA - 60
CH - 650
CYA - >20 (tube was clear when full)

Pool water is a cloudy white color with a hint of green. It is not clear, but you can “sort of” see to the bottom in the shallow end (2 ½ ft), and not see the bottom in the deep end (8 ft). Water has been this condition since a week ago when we pulled back the cover and vacuumed the bottom after the winter (we had leaves in it from when we put the cover on in the fall). Before we vacuumed the pool you could see to the bottom in the deep end (8 ft). After vacuuming, we added 1 gallon of 6% bleach, just guessing it needed it based on the reading from our simple CL/PH test kit. Then we put the cover back on after vacuuming.

We took the winter cover off the pool 1 day ago. Added 1/2 Gallon of Bleach (6%) last evening to be safe (or thinking it was a good idea).

Question: what is our next step to get our pool as clear/clean as possible for next weekend, that’s our goal.

Thanks in advance,
John G.

Hi, John,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. If you feel you have a good understanding of the chemistry, then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

You must shock the pool properly to get it clear and you need to get on it immediately if you want it done by next week. Doable but you don't have a lot of time to waste....it's a process that will take some effort, not a one-time dose of chemicals.

Thank you for your replies.

I do have a sort of general question.

Per the Pool Calculator, I figure I need to add the following:

123 oz of Bleach (for FC)
11 oz of Muratic acid (for PH)
45 oz of dry CYA (for CYA)
160 oz of Baking soda (for TA)

My question: do I want to add all of these at the same time, especially considering that I want to be in the Sock Process ASAP?

Thanks,
John G.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.