Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: General 2-speed wiring questions

1. Back To Top    #1

General 2-speed wiring questions

Hi, I have a 27' round with a 1.5 HP pump and am considering downsizing to a 1 HP pump, and I like the idea of a 2-speed.

I have been looking at the Pentair OptiFlo 1 HP dual speed, model #340071.

I notice that it comes with a twist-lock plug, which is what I currently have with my 1.5 HP single-speed.

Now, never having actually seen one of these pumps, I have been told that I'd need a timer such as the T106 to control the speeds. I'm not really understanding the control of speeds, though. I currently have a basic SPST timer to control on/off, which is in my basement and I have a standard 14/2 run from the timer out to my twist-lock outlet by the pool.

So I'm confused as to how the T106 would control speeds to this pump. It looks like there are 3 wires that would come out of the T106, according to this diagram: http://www.poolplaza.com/2-speed-timer-wiring.shtml But the new pump has a twist-lock plug?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: General 2-speed wiring questions

Well, I am kind of guessing, but if it actually comes with a twist lock plug, there may already be a manual speed switch on the motor

You do not HAVE to have a separate timer to control the speeds, you can just use a toggle switch to change speeds when you need to ... like just for vacuuming or backwashing.

If you want to use a timer to control the speed, you would likely have to remove the cord/plug and hardwire in the motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I'm thinking...I'll have to check with Pentair to be sure before I purchase. Can't seem to find any information online about this pump...

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's the link to the manual: http://ak.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/optifloom.pdf

Looking through the instructions page 10 shows a toggle switch.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I obviously didn't examine the diagrams closely enough

6. Back To Top    #6

Ugh ... I was looking at that PDF too and stopped on page 9
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!