I have an in ground pool which is 16 x 32. It holds 19,000

Dbelo

Jun 1, 2013
I have an in ground pool, which is 16 x 32. It holds 19,000 gallons of water. Every year, I have an issue with reading chlorine. For example, this year, we opened our pool two weeks ago. After opening, I added 12 gallons of liquid shock and the pool is still not reading a chlorine level. After days of letting the chlorinator run on full, it is still not reading any chlorine with the test strip. I ended up draining 18 inches and refilling the pool with fresh water seven times. I just recently added 1 gallon of Muriatic Acid and 5 pounds of powder shock. Hopefully, i am working in the right direction, but are there any tips or ideas on how to keep the chlorine level up at all times?

Thanks

Re: I have an in ground pool which is 16 x 32. It holds 19,

Welcome to TFP.
Sometimes over the winter cyanosis acid gets converted to ammonia and it takes a lot of chlorine to burn off the ammonia before you can get any chlorine to show up in the water. You can get an ammonia test kit at a local store that sells fish and test to see if that's your problem.

The first thing you need is a good test kit. Go ahead and order one and then start reading pool school, as mentioned above, while waiting on it to get there.

Do you have any test results you can post? Also tell us how you got them?

Re: I have an in ground pool which is 16 x 32. It holds 19,

but are there any tips or ideas on how to keep the chlorine level up at all times?
Chlorine is consumed by two things only. Sunlight and organics in your pool. The chances are you have organics and need to shock but it couold be your CYA is too low to prevent sunlight loss.

For us to help much at all, you will need to give us some valid test results...test strips are close to worthless.....pool store testing is often not much better.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.